MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when installing a new or reground cam is it necessary to replace the cam caps? i am looking at new cams and was just wondering what additional parts i need to consider when replacing them? thank you.

v/r,
steven

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Are you talking about the shims? If so you need to measure your valve lash and make sure the gap between the cam and the shim is withing spec. Any that are not out do not need to be replaced. The BGB has good instructions.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, i am not talking about shims. i know that it is very important to keep the cam caps matched to to the cam because of wear patterns but if i install a new cam do i need new cam caps? most people would probably have the cam, head and caps re-machined so that everything starts from new but what if i just wanted to replace the cam with out taking everything off.... thank you.

v/r,
steven

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
No. The cam caps are matched to the head. Taking material off the head is not feasible, as the clearances would exceed the allowable tolerance.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'd say take a look at them. If they appear scratched w/ deep grooves I might suggest replacing them. If they have only minor scracting (as in grooves that can be filled with a layer of oil) you should be fine. Assuming the caps are in good condition, it is probably more important to make sure they are install in the correct position and torque.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
mr2azzkicker said:
yes, i know the caps are matched to the head but does that make a difference when replacing cams? can i just simply pull out the old cam and throw in a new one? thank you.

v/r,
steven
its fine. I have a reground cam in my head right now. Just make sure you using assembly lube and that all the caps are in the right position. I also had my reground cam checked for straightness.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
monkey nutz said:
its fine. I have a reground cam in my head right now. Just make sure you using assembly lube and that all the caps are in the right position. I also had my reground cam checked for straightness.

did you have a 3s or 5s? do you notice a big difference? i am looking at reground cams for both my 5s and 3s just to see what happens. but i wanted to see what all was involved before i went that route. thanks for the input.

v/r,
steven

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.