Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are 3 ways to pass smog in CA:
1) Have a hook up at smog station
2) Have a hook up at DMV
3) Regular way.

Mainly this applies to #3.
When you go to smog station make sure you have all EO numbers for intake, CAT, turbo. Do not just show up with CARB legal intake and no EO exempt number.
Remove all catch cans, blow off valves.
Put back the EGR valve, do not show up with EGR delete.
Put Stock CATs if possible.
As for turbo, make sure you do not have external waste-gate right in the plain view. If you plan to upgrade a turbo, stick with CT20B, CARB exempt like HKS TD05 or at least internal wastegate turbo like Greddy TD06. I had experience when tech did not notice Greddy TD06 but another one looked at rebuilt CT20B and said he will not smog my Turbo car (meaning this MR2 should not even have turbo - yes that stupid)

I will add here if I remember something.

Remembered something- I would like to say that CA smog sucks! I am all for lowering emissions, but my high flow CAT is doing a fine job so this CARB exempt CAT being more expensive does not make much sense.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just FYI, the DMV hookup is kind of weird. You get the stickers, I have no idea what they enter there (maybe you provided the proof you spend more than 500 fixing smog related issues?). But the stickers are for one year, and after that , you still need a smog station hook up or a regular smog test.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts