MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased the MR2 2 years ago. The car had greddy turbo kit (internal wastegate), k&n intake (Carb exempt), blow off valve, and Garage fukui exhaust. So I removed the Fukui exhaust and put the stock B pipe and stock muffler. I went to smog station, the guy asked me to remove blow off valve and come back. I did that. Turbo had blue greddy label, I guess he missed it. Car failed smog, just secondary cat was not enough. So I bought KO Racing B pipe with high flow cat, installed it and passed it with flying colors. This year I brought the car to the same smog station, but there was different guy working there. So he decided to look at the CAT, gave me BS about Not CARB appoved CAT. Went across the street to different station, thankfully the tech did not look at the CAT.
So the moral of the story, if it is possible, put back the Primary CAT and B pipe with stock muffler. If that is not possible, then get KO Racing B pipe and look for the Smog shop which is tricky, but possible. The key is to ask to do visual check before you start the test. DO NOT START THE TEST WITHOUT MAKING SURE THE VISUAL WILL BE OK. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, cause when your car fail it will be much harder to find the smog station which will want to deal with your car.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts