MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
I really don't need to actually have that specific ECU to put that VIN on there, I can program the VIN to be whatever you want on any ECU. But if you want that specific one programmed I'm happy to do that for you also. I'd love to see a legitimately CARB legal 2gr-fe swap out there.
Yea I know, but this seller was kind enough to send me the VIN upon request unlike others that wanted me to purchase the ECU before giving me the VIN. So I returned the kind gesture. Yes, I would love to get this swap to pass CARB too. Otherwise I will be selling it and getting a NC Miata with 2.5 swap and ITBs. Spoke to a shop about doing the swap and they said they are booked for a few months. You wouldn't happen to know a good shop out here in SoCal would you?

If it was about 2000 miles later i could see someone buying it to move to CA then registering it but only 10 miles makes no sense to me.
Yea, that is weird. I suppose they had it shipped.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Yea I know, but this seller was kind enough to send me the VIN upon request unlike others that wanted me to purchase the ECU before giving me the VIN. So I returned the kind gesture. Yes, I would love to get this swap to pass CARB too. Otherwise I will be selling it and getting a NC Miata with 2.5 swap and ITBs. Spoke to a shop about doing the swap and they said they are booked for a few months. You wouldn't happen to know a good shop out here in SoCal would you?
Sounds good, i'm happy to use that ECU.

As for knowing a shop in SoCal, I know there are plenty but i do not have a recommendation to make for you. If you have the space you really should consider doing it yourself, it really isn't that hard but i understand that space in SoCal can be at a hell of a premium so there's a decent chance you don't have it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't have the space to do it. I also need some custom fabrication done since I'm using an EA6x gearbox.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
what year and model Toyota is this from?
2011 2GR-FE Sienna.

I've got a combination of changes to the tune where the CARB checksums aren't affected and internal changes to result in an ECU that should be legal for CARB certification in an OBDI car (pre '96)
-U0101 is appeased and will not show up anymore.
-The TCU does not show up on the tool as a diagnosable module
-Speed limiter raised to 170mph (due to some weirdness i can only increase it to this value but frankly that should be enough.)
-Rev Limiter raised to 7200rpm, i was surprised i was able to do that
-Tune is stock and has matching calibration verification numbers for 2011 Sienna ECU part number: 89661-08300 This means you will need an evap system and catalytic converters and you will also need the stock airbox
-Immobilizer disabled
-Appropriate VIN number programmed in to match model and year of the Sienna.

I'm a little surprised i was able to raise the rev limiter and keep the checksums the same, i think that one might be against the spirit of CARB regulations but it makes the car so much more driveable that i was really happy i was able to. Though if someone prefers i can certainly leave the 6400RPM limiter.

Note this can't be used for OBDII ('96 and later) because the donor is an automatic transmission vehicle.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Another key component has arrived. This is the sienna charcoal canister next to the issue for size reference. It is much larger than the stock SW20 part! There are a few more little parts needed to complete the system but those will be acquire in due time.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
oh wow, that is large. i suspect you'll have to make a one sided muffler assembly and put that on the opposite side under the trunk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Another key component has arrived. This is the sienna charcoal canister next to the issue for size reference. It is much larger than the stock SW20 part! There are a few more little parts needed to complete the system but those will be acquire in due time.
View attachment 71335
hey @SixAppeal can You please post the list of the other key components to complete the CA swap?

·
Registered
161 Posts
@ndcruz There is no official list as the swap is yet to be officially done. However, theoretical list for me is:
1. 2011 Sienna engine complete with harness.
2. 2011 Sienna OEM catalytic converters (there are 3).
3. 2011 Sienna complete OEM intake system.
4. 2011 Sienna charcoal canister and associated components.
5. 2011 Sienna Frankenstein Motorworks CARB specific ECU.

·
Registered
161 Posts
@ndcuz thanks for the offer but I have one already. What I can really use is a competent swap shop in San Diego.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Hey, just curious if there is update to this thread. Fingers crossed for passing BAR.
Me too but after i made that ECU he said he was putting an EA60 trans in there so i'm not sure how fast he fabricates but that makes it a slightly longer or a multi-year project depending on his fabrication skills and available time.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey, just curious if there is update to this thread. Fingers crossed for passing BAR.
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Haven't been going at this full-boar since the acquisition of the ecu. However, still acquiring key components and looking for a competent shop in California to do the swap. The soonest the install will possibly start is after the track day that I am signed up for in January.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It looked to me like the best option would be to use a rear manifold on the front. The pipe right between the 3-1 merge and the cat would need a wedge cut out of it (and re-welded) to get the correct angle to clear the frame. Slave cylinder, shift cables and A/C clearance would be fine. This sort of modification is fine with the BAR.
Sorry if this is common knowledge, but is this the normal way to have all the stock cats installed? I noticed Woodsport also mentions having stock cats. I have no idea what it looks like in the MR2, but is it as simple as swapping the manifolds to the opposite side and flipping the Y pipe (maybe with new flanges)?

·
Driving MR2s since '89
4,093 Posts
There is no "normal" way. AFAIK, nobody has done this swap yet with the stock manifolds in a MK2 chassis. This was my conclusion after trying the fitment of both a front and a rear manifold. Any stock Y-pipe you use (Toyota or Lotus) would have to have the front leg modified to meet up with the (modified) rear manifold that is now on the front of the engine.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts