MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
He could run the sienna ECU but without a tune. I can de-immobilize it for him and you'd need a module sending the "Everything ok" signal from the fake TCU.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I suppose the question to your question would be: how does the sienna ecu react when it doesn't see that TCU, will it throw a code or not? I'm just exploring options here.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Without a TCU or simulator it will throw a P0101 code but that should be able to be eliminated with a CAN message. I would just need at least a day and probably a weekend with a Sienna van here.

Then you'd just be left with the evap and catalytic codes which can be eliminated with the proper equipment installed on the car so those things actually work as they should.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Yes, the sienna ECU changes the game a bit. If i had a handful of committed buyers it would be easier to dedicate the time but i understand that nobody wants to commit until they see it pass CARB

it should be relatively easy to rent a sienna, way easier than some other cars for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
For the initial release i could do it with my Spyder body controller but i could pare it down to a small circuit board that i install inside the ECU case to make a plug & play CA legal ECU. that also means i can tap into the regulated voltages and drop the cost. but of course the cost is not the initial concern.

How committed are you to actually trying to push a car through CARB cert if i make this available?

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
So i just found a $75 TCU on ebay and ordered it. I'll check if having it makes the U0101 code disappear. That will be a lot less chatter than a full car and there's a chance it works and i can get the message from there.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I bought the car with the intention of getting it CARB certified with a 2GR and manual transmission. With all the parts I've gathered so far (your 2GR swap parts minus ECU, shifter, transmission, etc.) including the car, I am about 10K committed thus far. I am just waiting for a viable ECU option.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mark, back in the day I sent you my 2012 Sienna ECU to modify. I can mail it back to you if it will Help you out.

i am in for a carb cali 2grfe swap as well.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
I've got a pile of sienna ECUs here for now so that's not a problem but hang onto it, it might make a good core to turn in if you want one of the new ones.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Well, i have good news and bad news...

I got the TCU here and then hooked it up and hooking it up like this does make the U0101 code disappear so that's the good news but that's kinda where the good news ends.

What I had not noticed earlier is the TCU communicates on a different CAN bus to the ECU, it isn't on the CAN bus that comes out to the OBDII power. That means the ECU is acting like a gateway for the TCU so that now means there's going to be way more than just one message to send back and forth. I would have to implement some likely Toyota specific protocol to make the ECU happy.

But in theory i have what i need here to implement it, but i'm 90% sure that on the OBDII module selection screen there will always be a A/T module that pops up. Is that a deal breaker for CARB if it's there but reports no faults?

·
Registered
161 Posts
The only scenario where the transmission type matters is when swapping from OBDII to OBDII. In the case of the SW20, when going from OBDI to OBDII all that matters is that all the emissions equipment are present and the monitors are ready.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
So i spent a few hours with it, it's definitely some kind of handshake protocol because it isn't responding to any kind of playback attack.

Also, holy crap is that bus chatty. there's a message every 2.8ms on average. That's a ridiculous amount of data to churn through.

·
Registered
161 Posts
So i spent a few hours with it, it's definitely some kind of handshake protocol because it isn't responding to any kind of playback attack.

Is this good or bad?

Also, holy crap is that bus chatty. there's a message every 2.8ms on average. That's a ridiculous amount of data to churn through.
Leave it to Toyota to take the simple and make it complicated. I don't know how Colin Chapman was able to have a partnership with them.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Not responding to a playback attack just means i have to work harder to find a solution. I can't just blast out fixed messages to make the problem go away, i actually have to carry out a conversation between the ECU and the fake TCU. i won't really say this is overly complicated, sometimes these kinds of things are necessary because the ECU is possibly not designed for a specific TCU so it has to identify itself so the ECU uses the correct strategy or something like that.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
So i can't guarantee it yet but i'm 95% sure i'll have a set of modifications figured out to have a Sienna ECU with a stock tune that will have no immobilizer, the correct VIN number, the correct calibration ID and the correct calibration verification numbers.

It turns out the calibration verification numbers only verify the part of the tune that affects engine operation so i can make some small changes in other areas that will help us do this swap. I'm not really willing to go into the details of the secret sauce though.

The effort required for the modifications is a bit more than the normal tunes i make but the price will be the same: $380 + core and the Sienna core charge will be $80 which is way better than the $170 charge for the RAV4 ECU.

Give me another week or so. These will be sold as "Stock tune with Automatic transmission codes removed only" because i have no way to know if that will actually allow you to pass CARB but it meets all the requirements that SixAppeal has outlined.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Well, I've got it. I have a Sienna ECU here with the following updates:

-U101 is appeased and will not show up anymore.
-The TCU does not show up on the tool as a diagnosable module
-Speed limiter raised to 170mph (due to some weirdness i can only increase it to this value but frankly that should be enough.)
-Rev Limiter raised to 7200rpm, i was surprised i was able to do that
-Tune is stock and has matching calibration verification numbers for 2011 Sienna ECU part number: 89661-08300 This means you will need an evap system and catalytic converters and you will also need the stock airbox
-Immobilizer disabled
-VIN set to 5TDKK3DCXBS029627 which is appropriate for calibration.

It's just a smidge more work required than the rav4 ECU due to the soldering required but yeah, if the above is something you want you can contact me and they will be $460 without core or $380 if you turn in a core. Note the core has to be the exact 89661-08300 ECU. I can make this changes on other ones and it would work just fine but then the calibration verification stuff won't match the part number on the box.

Also, i have a handful of cores here on hand that could be tweaked like this

41 - 60 of 100 Posts