MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Can I bolt a C52 tranny to my regular, run of the mill 1986 4AGE block?

Or should I get my C50 rebuilt by a pro shop? I am using a Centerforce clutch for install.

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Yep the C52 will bolt up no problems but i think they use a slightly larger flywheel and clutch, 212mm as opposed to 200mm i think.........someone correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
813 Posts
the c52 will definately bolt up, and i am 95% sure you can use your original flywheel and clutch setup.

as long as the clutch and flywheel are the same size i dont think it matters onthe tranny side of things...

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
200 or 212mm setups work w/ either of the NA trannies... only real difference is you will need either the plate that covers the bell housing... or fab up something to cover the exposed "ear"... beyond that the trannies swap no prob... dont even have to remove the clutch set

mark

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, on the C52 question.

Should I rebuild the C50 that is existing in the car now, instead of using the C52? I heard that rebuilding a tranny uses parts that are way more durable and tougher than original.

Thanks for all your input so far.

Heeter

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
if you are doing the work yourself... you can buy A LOT of used trannies for the price of one rebuild...

just my thoughts on it

mark

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've rebuilt a C52 and added an LSD. I think I remember that the fifth gear replacement and upgrade parts on both C50 and C52 are the same, but I don't know how much different the main internals are between the two. I suspect there is very little difference. I used the C52 to get the intake starter position for the ZE.

I agree with Mark. If you have a limited budget, definately get one from a salvage yard, or someone off the board.

BTW, to replacing fifth gear parts to solve the infamous pop out problem will probably cost $300+. You can do this job with the tranny on the car and a gear puller. You can also find a used tranny in the same price range. Your choice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts