MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get a 1990 Mr2 with 63000km 5spd, no rust, good body, no damage, with T's for about 5000 imported directly to my city from japan.

Motor listed is 3S. I know there are many 3s motors floating around, but if its not turbo is it the FE ot GE motor from jdm? afaik 3sgte is the turbo, but theres also the fe motor which is significantly worse than the ge.

Can anyone clarify?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Its the 3s-ge not a bad little motor. You can ask a number of people here on the board for driving impressions. Are you sure you could get the JDM car legalized here in the states?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In canada, and yes, ive had a skyline in the past, have a friend with a skyline and my agent who will help me import the car has a 3sgte mr2 jdm... so yes its perfectly legal as long as its 15yr old.

Anyways, so it IS the 3sge, all I needed to know. Thanks... (will be sticking around anyways.. :p)

·
Registered
576 Posts
FyreDaug said:
Im still looking around for one, japan-partner.com isnt being to cooperative.
You planning to import yourself?

I would go with Import Concern, J-Spec, or Feast if I were you. Simplifies things considerably for not much extra cost. I'll probably be putting in a deposit at Import Concern in a couple weeks here.

http://www.importconcern.ca/
http://www.j-specimports.ca/
http://www.feast.spikidesign.com/

edit: missed seeing that you had a Skyline, you know all about this then :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah but Im still new, I had a friend help me with the importation process, the hard part was actually flying there and driving back, so now that I do want to do it myself Im gonna need a little more than a little help.... and so far thats what im getting from reading here. Thanks guys

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
WOW those are crazy expensive on those sites, for auction grade 3 or 3.5 theres no way they cost that much money. Crazy!

EDIT: Instead of double posting again (triple) I would edit this, anyways, the one im lookin at is on www.hasnihon.com its FOB is 300000 yen but its date is 1991/12 DAMNIT so im still lookin, if anyone is looking around and finds a decent condition 3SGE or 3SGTE mr2 with t's please let me know! Turbo preferred but not required. I just want it to look good.

·
Registered
576 Posts
hasnihon are where Import Concern get their broker stock from. This is a bit unfortunate for IC's reputation, because hasnihon seem to specialize in beaters. If it's in their stock, it means they got it dirt cheap ...

J-Spec dealer cars are, well, dealer cars, and cost more than auction cars. They can also source from auction if you like though.

An average grade 3.5 n/a MR2 (which is the minimum I'd consider - grade 3.0 cars are pretty rough) goes for about $800US at auction, add exporter's fee (up to $1300), shipping ($600 or so, plus in-Canada shipping), taxes, broker's fee in Canada, importer's fee (usually $800 at IC for an n/a '2), a/c tax, other misc. fees ... all adds up to around $5000 - $6000 usually.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah but keep in mind cars go for alot less over there than they do here, so price is relative.

Grade goes up to 5, or 3.5 if its in an accident, this is A3, meaning it WAS in an accident one time, not neccesarily total loss, but its at 85% quality after the accident, they say it runs great and drive a perfect line. Thats good enough for me, hell the resale value is much more here, just bring em back and sell em and make some money, thats kinda what my friend does.

I wish I had access to an auction, even indirectly through a dealer, so I can scour for the car I want and not what they buy to sell. Know what I mean?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Grades go well past 5 but that's for newer cars ... and you will NOT find a 1990 car better than grade 4. Well, you might, but it's the proverbial needle in a haystack. Normally number grades are not given to accident cars by auction houses, although the exporters often do i.e. A3 as you mentioned. A3 by the way, odds are, will be a pretty secondhand looking unit.

Auction access is exactly what Import Concern and J-Spec offer.

msn me if you want, [email protected], I've been around this importing deal for quite a while ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts