MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from spitting some awesome flames, my antilag install setup (power FC) has finally yielded some results.. although unfortunately nothing to push me higher up the registry

With a less than adequate burnout on the mickey thompson ET streets.. I managed to launch 0.1 better (1.7 second 60') than my best run of 11.37 (1.8). And the results held.. by 660', I was half a tenth ahead of the 11.37 run.. and 2mph faster too.

But then my radiator cap decided it was a prudent time to spin off (???) and I backed off at 3/4 track when I saw the steam.. to roll through for an 11.6 @ 96mph

Im pretty confident that with a big tyre warm up I could achieve a 1.5 second 60' and come very close to a flat 11.. but Im not too sure if she has a 10.9 in her.

Still, 10s on pump fuel and street tyres is the goal this year and the engine is being pulled out in a few weeks for a face lift. Yep, Im going to build my 3sgte-s super bottom end coupled with a larger turbo, ported head and better cams. THEN surely I'll go deep into 10s on pump fuel... I hope!

On another note, apologies for being virtually non existant on the forums the past few months (I think this is my first post in that long).. work is impossible to keep up with!

Adios

-Tristan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,751 Posts
Hey Tristan,

At your power level, I would think your 60s would be significantly better.
What "street tire" are you using? What size? Brand?
What air pressure are you running back there?

How much boost does your anti-lag make before you engage the clutch?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JekylandHyde said:
Hey Tristan,

At your power level, I would think your 60s would be significantly better.
What "street tire" are you using? What size? Brand?
What air pressure are you running back there?

How much boost does your anti-lag make before you engage the clutch?
Hey Jeff, thanks for the reply

Im running 235/60/15 mickey thompson ET streets. The happy spot I found with them was 20psi. But you must keep in mind that Im not racing on a prepped drag strip so its quite slippery!

With antilag at full swing, Im making around 1.2 bar when staging... but this proved to be far too much so I throttle it back to under 1 bar to get it off the line nicely

I think I should make an effort to race when they prep the track (special events).. no doubt the car will go a million times better.

-Tristan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,751 Posts
... I think you need bigger tires. 235 is way too small for you.
I was running 255s for my 11.7s and now I am on a 275.

Sometimes, it really is all about size :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah that might help too :)

I was thinking exactly that this morning as I was plodding to work. However, I went "halves" in buying these with my mechanic.. who does not yet have the power to get 275s off the line I think.. so its a compromise on my behalf. Maybe next season I'll go the 275s.

What brand & pressure do you use, if you dont mind me asking?

-Tristan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,751 Posts
I have always used the BFG Drag Radials.
Although the M/T's get better reviews, I am breaking enough
stuff with the BFGs that I think mor etraction might be dangerous.
Besides, I'm not sure the MTs would give me anything much better than my best 1.49.

I was running them at 13-15 psi.
After I broke the axle off at the stub, I started running them at 18-19 psi.
I figure I rather risk spinning a bit than breaking again .... the result has been BETTER 60's - go figure :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JekylandHyde said:
I have always used the BFG Drag Radials.
Although the M/T's get better reviews, I am breaking enough
stuff with the BFGs that I think mor etraction might be dangerous.
Besides, I'm not sure the MTs would give me anything much better than my best 1.49.

I was running them at 13-15 psi.
After I broke the axle off at the stub, I started running them at 18-19 psi.
I figure I rather risk spinning a bit than breaking again .... the result has been BETTER 60's - go figure :D
Excellent, thanks for the info

And no, I dont have launch control. Just the vanilla flavour power FC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
JekylandHyde said:
... I think you need bigger tires. 235 is way too small for you.
I was running 255s for my 11.7s and now I am on a 275.

Sometimes, it really is all about size :D
may I ask what the specs on your wheels are? I want a 275 tire on my car but been having trouble finding the widest rim i can fit. did u roll your fenders? thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,792 Posts
flupstar said:
Hey Jeff, thanks for the reply

Im running 235/60/15 mickey thompson ET streets. The happy spot I found with them was 20psi. But you must keep in mind that Im not racing on a prepped drag strip so its quite slippery!

With antilag at full swing, Im making around 1.2 bar when staging... but this proved to be far too much so I throttle it back to under 1 bar to get it off the line nicely

I think I should make an effort to race when they prep the track (special events).. no doubt the car will go a million times better.

-Tristan
Hi, may I ask which one of these two tires you are running?

http://store.summitracing.com/defau...ch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp&x=37&y=11
Pople confuse the street ET tires (pretty much a street legal slick) with the NEW drag radials that Mickey Thompson offers. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,021 Posts
JekylandHyde said:
My fenders are cut out.
I had to roll themfor the 255s and had to cut them for the 275s.

I bought my drag wheels from mister3 when he was selling these (I tihnk he still is):
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=36056

Tell him I sent you if you conatct him about them :)
the wheels are finished for good and there are 2 remaining sets out of 6 which were made.

Mike Colon is the only one with the 5 spoke design since he's the guy who went through all the hassels to get these produced -- i had 5 sets of the other style made (which IMO still look great) and that'll be it for forever since response was just so-so at best for custom, 1-off, 3 piece billet drag wheels specifically made to fit within the confines of the MR2 chassis with only maybe minor mods to squeeze in 11.5" wide rear tires.

anyways -- good job Tristan and hope you can squeek in a 11.0 before teardown time ;)
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Hey Tristan,

its Jim

On another note, apologies for being virtually non existant on the forums the past few months (I think this is my first post in that long).. work is impossible to keep up with!
:p doesn't help when another sw20 arrives in your driveway with a rooted G/B just before motorvation :smile:

stoked to see that plans are in place to smash some 10's, seeing that 11.37 sent tingles down my spine, keep up the great work man, speak soon.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top