MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of building my 93 turbo mr2 into a JDM show car. I'm preparing to enter and win shows for the JDM category. What do you guys suggest for JDM parts? Prefer parts that are popular and in high demand, but either are hard to get or arn't in America. Thanks

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
get a beams motor!!!

and build the body to 98 spec. unless your going to put a kit on your car.

look for those littile things to, maybe find the recaro seats that came as an option in the car in the later models. ive only ever seen one picture of them!

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
FallingSux said:
get a beams motor!!!

and build the body to 98 spec. unless your going to put a kit on your car.

look for those littile things to, maybe find the recaro seats that came as an option in the car in the later models. ive only ever seen one picture of them!
My opinion only, if he's building a car to enter shows, a stock body MR2 probably won't get him anywhere (but like what you mentioned, if he's putting a kit on his car, it's a different story). Having a '98 spec MR2 would be awesome in the MR2 community, but outside this place, no one would even bother to look at a stock body MR2.

Eric

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
yea true. i just maention things like the beams motor and 98 spec things beacuse he mentioned "jdm" and those are the first things that come to mind.

as far as performance, you really dont need a jdm anything if u want a dyno queen show car. evrything can be built up off the the genII 3sgte platform not to mention the majority of aftermarket engine parts are for this motor.

then agin since u did say a "jdm" show car and u really want it to be jdm, get the beams motor or a genIII 3sgte. the beams i wouldnt even touch, cause its that uber kewl of a motor. but feel free to build the genIII up.

·
Registered
6,248 Posts
a beams motor, with a 98 wing and a some sort of body kit, recaro seats with the vmax harness bar, get the jdm or euro front lenses with some jdm corner or bump corners and 94++ tails

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
RHD conversion, '98 interior (seats, doors, steeringwheel, shiftknob, etc), yellow/motorized foglights, '98 wheels, rainguards (if not ttops), mudflaps (sure, not strictly JDM, but rare for mr2...disregard if go with bodykit), and -definately- the rear quarter window shades, for ultra rareness. Those shades alone will cost around 1k, and that's -if- you can find'em.

That's about all I can think'a stock-JDM-wise...

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Sorry to say but car shows are owned by the honda crowd. Idiot judges wouldnt even know what to look for on our cars unless our engine codes started with a letter of the alphabet, if they even know where our engine is. The most you'd probably get is Cleanest Toyota.

Rui.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
i personally think that you're not JDM enough until you go RHD!!!!

SAVE THE HASSEL AND JUST IMPORT ONE....HUH??

·
Registered
17 Posts
You could score some serious jdm point with anything from Phoenix Power, such as the cage they make, and the hood wing, and even the full aero kit and headlight conversion.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
yea i can attest for the fact that unless you have a wild paintjob and body kit you won't win jdm class...i have some odd ball pieces that were not worth a damn to HIN and got me 4th place beat out by a RHD cavalier...my mods consist of the first RHD conversion done in America...2nd 3sge swap in america...and first turbo 2nd gen 3sge swap in america...after that I had the jdm kouki tails, true jdm clears not the fake ebay ones...and side markers, the jdm flare kit...mint interior with the trust RHD pillar pod...carbon fiber hood and trunk and bomex drift wing and since I didn't have a wild paint job and a crazy body kit it wasn't even placed...

TRD Ruler318 ---thats not entirely true...the judges aren't stupid unless you go to a crappy event...the judge was really cool with me and knew my engine code even after I did the NA swap so unless you frequent the show scene I wouldn't make comments like that...

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
hey I appreciate it man i busted my ass on the car...i just need a nice paint job and ill be happy...although I have an underground project going on and my gray one might be for sale...

Hawaii---option 2 sell me your car and buy mine and start from there...lol

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
why not just highlight the "MADE IN JAPAN" on the vehicle ID tag on door jamb and leave it at that -- true JDM from the factory

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
A RHD with a full Phoenix Power kit, GenIII engine with some nice parts like a HKS GT series turbo, APEXi IC, Fukui SPL exhaust, Red Bride seats, Carbing strut tie bars, Volks or Advans, Endless coilovers, etc...thats a good start to emptying your life savings.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Whats the freaking hype with OMG ITS FROM JAPAN IM THE GREATEST EVaR.

nonetheless J-spec parts that are rare/uncommon/favorite
-3SGE or Gen.III 3s (Both wont pass smog but its a show car) But if your going to show off the engine bay, powercoat as much as possible or go FULL chrome.

not mine but a good idea of a full chrome enigne bay

-RHD conversion
-Pheonix Power roll cage/IC/engine lid
-Bomex drift wing / kit
-Border rad relocator (if you reallllly wanted to) w/ the whole kit
-Top secret / silk road / endless coils
-Brakes you can just do a 93 or rotora. Frankly I think a powdercoated 93 caliper w/ "MR2" or the MKIII logo on it is perfect.
-Ganador mirrors (show below on yellow car)
-94 conversion for tails
-Jspec / euro clear corners
-yellow fogs (motorized)
-rear window shades
-mud flaps
- as for rims, dont get them just ebcause they are jdm. It is begining to make me sick with people chantint omg they are jdm so im hardcore. They hold your tires, and have a style, find a style that you enjoy. (although I cannot talk I have rims i waited 10months for)

-Advan SARv.2's

(non JDM but still sexy as hell) Revision 6 headlights

-revision 6 headlights + j-spec clears + MKIII badge if you look closely on the border c/f hood

stick with those if thats what your looking for.

But as others have said before me about show cars its all about the neon junk, flashy lights, altezzas and other ugly parts.

Hope some of this helps, good luck with your mr2. You know after looking through my mr2 picture folder, and rattling those company names off the top of my head, I need to get outside more haha.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts