MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I did some calculations a couple years ago. If they are right you could use the 1gr block or I guess the 2gr also with the 4gr (whatever the 2.5 liter was) crank and you would have a big bore short stroke V6 displacing 3.2 liters. All theory of course bc im not sure if the 2.5 crank can be used in the other blocks. Anyway it seems to me like it would still be able to make big hp and rev like a 2 stroke. Great for a smaller car that has trouble fitting big tires and handling big torque. All theory and dreams of course. Lol
I don't see the need to de stroke and rev like crazy. The 2GR is a big enough money pit so no need to make it bigger! You need 7k+ for dry sump, solid lifters, billet rockers, billet cams, etc. At that stage, buy a 2.8ltr bespoke V8 for $28k and be done with it. Sounds better, costs the same, 400hp/12k rpm.
I like the idea of the destroke but even to get to the stage I am at has taken a huge amount of energy but a de-stroke would be more for less power so it really isn't where I would go.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Just a little update on this build.

The camshafts are now finished and in transit. Such a relief. Based on the data I provided for the cams, The standard camshafts can be reground to provide a great performance upgrade over the standard units. Price is around $1000 plus shipping/taxes etc. If you upgrade the heads/plenum/exhaust, you will enjoy some impressive gains over the standard output.
I have most of the intake manifold components sorted with the balance to be sourced and fabricated next week. This seems to be a pretty important part of this build. Here are some pic's of the 'core' of the manifold.

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
I don't see the need to de stroke and rev like crazy. The 2GR is a big enough money pit so no need to make it bigger! You need 7k+ for dry sump, solid lifters, billet rockers, billet cams, etc. At that stage, buy a 2.8ltr bespoke V8 for $28k and be done with it. Sounds better, costs the same, 400hp/12k rpm.
I like the idea of the destroke but even to get to the stage I am at has taken a huge amount of energy but a de-stroke would be more for less power so it really isn't where I would go.
I agree. It was just random thoughts I was having at work one day when bored. Idle hands you know.

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
just a little update on this build.

The camshafts are now finished and in transit. Such a relief. Based on the data i provided for the cams, the standard camshafts can be reground to provide a great performance upgrade over the standard units. Price is around $1000 plus shipping/taxes etc. If you upgrade the heads/plenum/exhaust, you will enjoy some impressive gains over the standard output.
I have most of the intake manifold components sorted with the balance to be sourced and fabricated next week. This seems to be a pretty important part of this build. Here are some pic's of the 'core' of the manifold.

thats pretty!!!!.

·
Registered
118 Posts
What were the options on the cam shafts and the retainers that you have mentioned earlier? Want to say you had like 10 sets of cams or something like that but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
That was another learned bit.... if you look @ the photo of the engine on the dyno you'll note a large wooden "intake manifold". The GR series makes heat inside the engines V... metal intakes just absorb it and bake the intake air.... Part of the midrange gain in that engine was intake temps were nearly 20 degrees lower with the wooden intake... allowing for more aggressive ignition timing....

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
What are the trumpets made out of? They look gold colored.
If heat is such an issue will getting a manifold coated with some kind of ceramic coating or something help lower intake temps.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
What were the options on the cam shafts and the retainers that you have mentioned earlier? Want to say you had like 10 sets of cams or something like that but I could be wrong.
There are 3 spare sets of blank billets ready for machining. Two sets have been 'cut' for my build and one other guy. I have a set of stock camshafts which can be reground by Kelford. These will be a good compromise to billet cams.
The spring/retainer we are using will require some mods to the head so a larger spring and retainer can be used. So to use the kit we are using, you will need to modify the head. It may be best to just use the MWR kit with the stock retainer.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
That was another learned bit.... if you look @ the photo of the engine on the dyno you'll note a large wooden "intake manifold". The GR series makes heat inside the engines V... metal intakes just absorb it and bake the intake air.... Part of the midrange gain in that engine was intake temps were nearly 20 degrees lower with the wooden intake... allowing for more aggressive ignition timing....
This crossed my mind a while back. I was thinking of wrapping the intermediate manifold plus ceramin coating. Same for the plenum.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
What are the trumpets made out of? They look gold colored.
If heat is such an issue will getting a manifold coated with some kind of ceramic coating or something help lower intake temps.
The gold look is from the lighting, nothing more.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Can you give me any estimate on what a set of the bullet Cana would cost and what engine or kit you are using the spring/retainers from? I figured it wouldn't be just any easy swap but I want to keep it as an option.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Good job. How much are the camshaft cost?

I have contacted Swindon Engine a while back and they make camshaft for the 2gr costing $2000usd. I'll copy and paste the email here.

Hi Fue,

We have:

- High lift and duration inlet and exhaust camshafts (£1600 per engine set)
- High flow exhaust manifold with metalic cat (£1200 per engine set)
- Billet machined connecting rods which will allow 7800 rpm (£1500 per engine set)

We also have a CNC program to machine the cylinder heads ports (£1400 for the machning work based on donor heads)

You can make 350hp with max 7800 rpm with the above modifications with a fantastic engine sound and excellent reliability.

Stock rockers are absolutely fine (with cam profiles that suit).

Let me know if the above is of interest.

Kind regards.

Raphaël Caillé
Managing Director

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Any update on the itbs? I have been thinking about making my own for over a year vs turbo route. I am running a v88 (I have a mrs) and currently on the DBW. I can run mechanical throttle body so it doesn't matter to me. I have been looking at the BMW DBW itbs as stealing some components to make my own running one on each bank as the inlet doesn't line up. Either way, excited about the results.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Can you give me any estimate on what a set of the bullet Cana would cost and what engine or kit you are using the spring/retainers from? I figured it wouldn't be just any easy swap but I want to keep it as an option.
The billet cam's cost around 3200 AUD.
Regrind are 1250 AUD. Exchange cams required.
Springs and titanium retainers are around 900 AUD.
I have a larger Inconel exhaust valve while still retaining the standard inlet valve.
I can have the port work done the same as mine with camshafts/springs/valves to suit.
The conversion prices work out very close to the UK option.
As for the exhaust, I have no answer as yet. The spec is a stepped exhaust, tuned length but I think the Tubular kits look like an excellent option.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts