MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
How much for a set of cams for the 2grfe? The only set I've seen available is from MWR. I want to upgrade mine because I'm planning to keep it n/a for now but may eventually boost it. Would you have a good recommendation for the setup? Car will primarily be tracked but might drive it every blue moon on the street.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
You cannot buy these in any mainstream outlets. The designer died 6 months ago but I have sourced the castings and components required to build these kits. So in short, there is a strong chance I will have these itb's available for the 1MZ style engines.

The 2GR is a different matter as it will require a lot more work to get the stage you see in the pic's.

Are you interested in a set?
I am definitely interested. Please keep me posted.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
These cams have the OEM base circle and can be designed to suit your application. I have OEM flow rates and modified flow rates and flow rates for a mild ported head so cams can be made to suit NA and SC/boosted spec.
All camshafts are lightened by deleting any of the factory 'tags and dags' which are found on the cast units.
Camshafts cost are $3400 at this stage as they are bespoke items.
The porting/machining and other tricks to the head will set you back just over $2100 plus shipping but they are flow tested ( I have the report) to [email protected]'/.300" lift. If that's was a push rod V6 engine it would flow 400+hp at 7000rpm. Looking forward to seeing the multivalve vvti can achieve!
You can use the standard valves as they can handle anything and I do mean anything.
Still need to chase a lot on the exhaust size to release the engine.

I have a spare set of heads (plus three sets of camshafts) in the shop ready for anyone interested in going down this path.

Also, its Australian dollars so there is a 10% discount on the US dollar and a lot more on the Euro and BP.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yes, there are a few updates.
Myself and a Lotus owner are having the same build. There are a few differences which include piston and rod choice but otherwise, identical.

The camshafts are now receiving their final grind with shipping expected by this time next week. I do not have a final profile but chances are, this will be keep under wraps due the ridiculous amount of time and effort involved in getting to this stage.
We have a oversize exhaust (Inconel) valve, spring rate to suit our camshaft has been sourced, titanium retainers, new hydraulic lifters but keeping the standard rockers.
My heads have been ported/flowed (for camshaft profiles) while the second set will be worked on in the next few weeks.
The machinist (finally) started work on the block today. This is being pinned (old speedway trick) along with the full treatment for a perfect block.
We have gone with a larger piston with a static compression of 13.
:1, 3.6 litre capacity.
We are both using forged rods with 'Lotus' using the lighter gear.

I have new exhaust flanges to suit the new ports as 'Gouky' were not big enough. It was something I did not expect so had to sell of Gouky's and now make my own system. Bit a pain, but that's the way it is.
Also have the flanges to make a optimum intake plenum with runner lengths to suit the rest of the engine.

We have a solid figure (and path) the engine will be capable with everything made to reach this figure. I can say, the figure is very competitive with Cosworth engines but for a lot less money.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Great build . I'm going down the TRD S/C route but enjoy seeing high end quality builds even if NA. Lot of high quality .
builds down under .

Suggest you also add build to Lotustalk Evora forums as pockets are little deeper there and not many of those guys doing NA engine mods due to limited available parts .

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Great build . I'm going down the TRD S/C route but enjoy seeing high end quality builds even if NA. Lot of high quality .
builds down under .

Suggest you also add build to Lotustalk Evora forums as pockets are little deeper there and not many of those guys doing NA engine mods due to limited available parts .
Yes, we do have a few with many that people do not even know about. There are plenty of Nissan V6 being built for boat racing. These are the same capacity with similar compression who find 450hp on a regular basis. Some guys are getting over 500hp but they are 'pushing the envelope' with reliability. It turns out the 2GR is a better flowing design and better velocity in comparison to the Nissan. Will be interesting how the Toyota compares to the Nissan.

Once the engines are built and running, I will advertise the fact on Lotus and some other forums.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Please list where you have sourced some of this parts as I am interested in a set of titanium retainers.
Titanium retainers are not available for the 2GR valves. Valve spring and retainers from another engine have been sourced then machined to fit the 2GR heads.

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
This is a badass build. Glad to see someone finally doing a n/a v6 build. I read years ago that with a Nissan VQ35 high rev motor from a Z that it didnt take very much to get to 400hp. To me it didnt seem like it would take much for one of these either. Would love to have one of these in my MK1.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
This is a badass build. Glad to see someone finally doing a n/a v6 build. I read years ago that with a Nissan VQ35 high rev motor from a Z that it didnt take very much to get to 400hp. To me it didnt seem like it would take much for one of these either. Would love to have one of these in my MK1.
Thanks Scott,

It is taking a huge amount of effort to make this happen. So much time involved but the result will be pretty good. In 2015, if you make your way up to Canada, you will be able to see the second engine thrashing around in a Lotus Elise race car. When I have some detail on when its running, I will provide info in this thread. A MK1? crazy.. :thumbup

·
Registered
118 Posts
What kind of options are available? I'm looking for a complete that would allow the engine to safely Rev higher and handle boat later on. I like to build the complete engine top to bottom wroth forged internals and possible darton sleeves. I prefer to be safe than sorry. Doing the same on my scion tc build.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
What kind of options are available? I'm looking for a complete that would allow the engine to safely Rev higher and handle boat later on. I like to build the complete engine top to bottom wroth forged internals and possible darton sleeves. I prefer to be safe than sorry. Doing the same on my scion tc build.

Don't worry about the Darton sleeves, just stick with the standard bore sizing and forged bottom end.
If you are looking to boost the engine, you really need to decide what boost level you will run but would not run it too high as you can run into all sorts of issues with the valve train. Basically, you will need to lock up the vvti if you go for high boost(20+) along with a few other mods. It will get very expensive, very quickly but you will end up with a pointless amount of power.

Better off spending money on a well sorted top end. If you are going for boost at a later date, the NA compression is the same as the SC compression so you can add 8-10lb without destroying it. Any more you should be building a engine to suit that application.

I can offer:

Fully prepared bottom end
Fully prepared long motor
Compete engine run-in and tuned with Motec ECU, packaged and delivered anywhere you like.
or race prepared cylinder head/camshaft/plenum/exhaust manifold package.

This will also work best with 12.5:1 compression/98 octane but work very nicely with 10:1 boosted to 10lb. Output would be 'outstanding'.

Once mine is up and running I will have I available for test drives for people interested in a complete engine. At least you will have a clear picture if you really need more than the NA output.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm not looking for anything crazy like you mentioned 20+ levels of boost. I'll probably just stick with the n/a and got with the supercharger setup once I have the funds.

As for a complete engine I won't be needing that just yet. I have a complete motor now sitting in my garage. I will be sourcing the internals but I haven't found any aftermarket CAMS and retainers except for the ones you have described and hoping to get a kit from you.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Have you encountered any issues with self consumption yet...???? do to thermal expansion....

The race shop I use to do my valve and seat work has developed a destroked 1GR for one of their clients

Depending on the tune, and induction type it makes about 440hp(above photo) at about 8500 rpm as a peak... but they found that a change to a properly sized plenum developed nearly 40 more hp in the midrange, while limiting peak power "down" to 400-410 (below)

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
You mentioned proper plenum and it made me remember back when GM had their TPI motors out. Lingenfelter did some research and learned that the 305 and the 350 had the same intake manifold. No big deal right except that it was designed and sized for the 305. Not good for a 350. At the peak of TPI development by GM the 305 was making 245hp and like 305 torque. The 350 was making 255hp and like 350 torque. The big 350 only made 10hp more than the 305 but almost 50 more toque? Poor 350 couldnt breath at high rpm. Lingenfelter designed a new manifold for the 350. They picked up 45 more hp. Just with a manifold. Everything else stayed the same on the engine. I think they gained a lil torque but not much.

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
I did some calculations a couple years ago. If they are right you could use the 1gr block or I guess the 2gr also with the 4gr (whatever the 2.5 liter was) crank and you would have a big bore short stroke V6 displacing 3.2 liters. All theory of course bc im not sure if the 2.5 crank can be used in the other blocks. Anyway it seems to me like it would still be able to make big hp and rev like a 2 stroke. Great for a smaller car that has trouble fitting big tires and handling big torque. All theory and dreams of course. Lol

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Have you encountered any issues with self consumption yet...???? do to thermal expansion....

The race shop I use to do my valve and seat work has developed a destroked 1GR for one of their clients

Depending on the tune, and induction type it makes about 440hp(above photo) at about 8500 rpm as a peak... but they found that a change to a properly sized plenum developed nearly 40 more hp in the midrange, while limiting peak power "down" to 400-410 (below)

I cannot answer the question as mine is yet to run but I am sure a few of the guys I deal with can.
One reason will not rev to 8500 is oil pump which can suffer cavitation but a dry sump can solve this but my bank account cannot! Another is there is no need to rev it so hard to get the power I need.
I am currently building a plenum based on a spec provided by a reliable source. He did say there will be some loss down low but will work effectively through the mid and high end but will have to wait and see once its on the dyno and when it gets back to the circuit for some laps.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts