MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a track only SW20 which I have been playing around with for 5 years. After spending a lot of time and effort with a 3SGTE I have now moved onto the 2GRFE.
As I am not satisfied by simply fitting a stock engine with stock power, my goal is for something a little more wild. It is good fortune that some of the best engine builders of the Toyota V6 can be found in Australia but (not surprising) they all hail from NZ (New Zealand) with most based in Australia. After a few conversations and some experience the 2GRFE that will be fitted into my SW20 will be an angry little beast even though its only a NA spec engine.
Based on the application, boosting is not required and will add weight and complexity which I have no interest in. Yes, power would be 700-1200hp but complete overkill.
So the goal is for 400+hp with 7800rpm redline. These are realistic figures from the builder/tuners in Australia and NZ who have seen these figures on engine dyno's but realistically, I would be very happy to see 350hp at 7500rpm.
These are goals, nothing more. This thread is about the way to get there. I cannot give everything away but will provide enough information to motivate others to 'have a go'.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was follwing your topic on mr2australia before, similar to you I was dissapointed with 3sgte for track use and swaped 2gr but stock excluding exhaust and SA ECU.

I'll plan different way treating engine longblock as quite affordable replacement part and use rotrex SC but for sure I'll be interested with cams.

I have also one extra oil baffled pan for 2gr if you want.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was follwing your topic on mr2australia before, similar to you I was dissapointed with 3sgte for track use and swaped 2gr but stock excluding exhaust and SA ECU.

I'll plan different way treating engine longblock as quite affordable replacement part and use rotrex SC but for sure I'll be interested with cams.

I have also one extra oil baffled pan for 2gr if you want.
Cool, I haven't added anything for a while as there is not much to talk about re: the car. just sitting there waiting for the transplant. After driving a friends 2GRFE track car I was hooked on the sound and control the NA offers.

The engine mods that I'm undertaking are not that expensive. Developing the cams will be but Kelford cams (is an expensive aspect)will now have all the data from my build which makes it far easier for everyone else. I looked into the solid lifters but not ready to spend $2000 installing and setting this up when the OEM is a proven item.
The big advantage of this set up(head/cams) for boosted application is a lot more power for less boost/heat.
One thing we did work out was the rebore of the block. It can be done up to 0.40" as there are pistons available. You can also fit iron sleeves which are very cheap compared to the darton sleeve. It has been proven to be a more reliable option in the real world too.

Can you provide a link for the pan? I may be interested if its the northern Euro spec one. There is one floating around which out performs the Lotus MS pan.

·
Registered
47 Posts
All I want power I wont to get from 2gr must be on stock longblock or with quite easy bolt on modyfications like cams.
I don't want take off heads etc but for your plans I understand that is necessary.

About the pan:
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=439825

It's discontinued, I've the last one, brand new, like other 2gr swap stuff for sale (plan was for two 2gr mr2s).

There is a problem with your images

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Not sure if you're interested, but monkeywrenchracing sells mild regrinds for the 2gr. They've made ~320 whp with them and an emanage ultimate.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback guys.
I am aware of the Monkeywrench gear and have been communicating with Gouky on the ECU.
I do have a few options for the ECU and the AEM is on of them. Haltech, Wolf, Autronic are the other ECU's. I have racepak smartwire and dash so the ecu needs to communicate with this set which all these ECU's will do but no decision as yet.

I had a look at the MWR cams but steered away as I am not interested in a regrind camshaft. I know these cams are very good and very close to maximum efficiency for the standard motor (tested by some guys in GT racing in Australia) but I am very keen to support my local industry with a option for this spec of engine. Also, the billet units are also a lighter camshaft, better steel, custom built to suit the cfm of each cylinder/port by one of the best in the business.

The photo's were added to the facebook site but here they are again if people missed the pic's on facebook.

These are 1MZ ITB's which are sitting in a box ready to fit but are a little too small (46mm ID)for the 3.5ltr(52mm required. I am working on having these kits available for sale later this year. Cost will be over $2500 but less than $3500. This engine is 350+hp on Autronic ECU, 98 octane fuel, 8000rpm. Its an offroad engine.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't even know you could buy them?

B24NSW. Are you saying you're going to make these?
You cannot buy these in any mainstream outlets. The designer died 6 months ago but I have sourced the castings and components required to build these kits. So in short, there is a strong chance I will have these itb's available for the 1MZ style engines.

The 2GR is a different matter as it will require a lot more work to get the stage you see in the pic's.

Are you interested in a set?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hacket, I cannot help with the oil pan at this stage.

The heads are now machined and flow tested. New billet camshafts are now ready to be machined based on new flow rates. There are 5 sets available so if anyone is interested, PM me to get the ball rolling.

·
Registered
392 Posts
good work man, good to see someone finally pushing the 2GR. Theres next to go build information around about what works, someones gotta share!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
good work man, good to see someone finally pushing the 2GR. Theres next to go build information around about what works, someones gotta share!
Thanks nuk1ear,

There is a lot of work to get to this stage and its almost there. 400 reliable hp from a NA would be nice!

In the not to distant future these engines will be engine dyno tuned and chassis tuned to give the exact figures of drivetrain loss and actual fly wheel numbers.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts