1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Originally posted by donalson

here is the new thread he put up on it... very nice work
http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=9099

looks like something i'll be reserching... time to start looking for a lawn mower engine or 2... i've seen a place online that sold brackets to hold a lawn mower engine and an alternator but that was to be used as a generator... same kinda thing though...

mark

M

·
0 Posts
thats pretty cool. imma have to try that. prolly make it alot easier when building lowrider bikes :)

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
peterparker said:
I contacted the guy who originally did this and he said to go ahead a post the pictures up, so here they are:

Link

Good luck to all those who try.

Peter
the welds look ok but I doubt it could weld any more than thin tube or sheet

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I am glad this is a sticky because all I can say is HOLY HELL!!! Damn I wish I had the knowledge to just build that.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
for steel. search craigslist for a lincoln "tombstone" stick welder, 200amps 220v. they're usually around 100 bucks, and VERY common. buy that.

buy a tig torch and regulator online.. another ~100. connect a bottle and tig weld steel all day long.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
not only ac, but high frequency ac! you can hunt ebay for old miller high frequency boxes.. and i think you can get lift start boxes.. and then you really need a foot control, ends up being a fairly physically large setup.

ive heard 200amps will do about 1/4 inch alu without fuss. alu sucks heat like mad.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Bill Strong said:
DIY TIG
Detailed instructions. $300 worth of parts

http://myweb.cableone.net/rschell/TIG.htm
Just saw this thread for the first time. Note that the parts list shown at this link is missing more than a few items. Mainly, the TIG torch, work clamp, power cable, plug, regulator, and material to make the frame. Add that to the $307 listed, and you have enough to buy two Harbor Freight TIGs or one used Miller.

I'm all for making your own tools, but this one doesn't really make sense, except as an academic exercise.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts