MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i need my MR2 as a sorta daily driver, and weekend sprint driving and i plan on attending some autocross soon, and i relly don't want much of a low ride if i put new springs in, so i don't want to spend much more than $400ish.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
high & tight bushings, good struts, good alignment. also, tires and brakes are good places to improve. pretty generic, yes. i guess i'm saying you need to give more info about the car and the current condition it's in.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Tires

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
illuminas, a more-aggressive streetable alignment, and perhaps the bushing kit. and, if you don't have it already, a rear sway bar. ought to wake up the car, tho it might exceed $400. the illuminas alone cost almost 400 but there's no shock for less money thats adjustable or provides any better ride than stock.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i get alignment for free, illuminas sound a lil' too over the top for me though, as this will be driving on the road alot still, are stock springs ok to run?

i already have new tries, yohahmmas, they're pretty sticky

rear sway bars arn't stock are they? if no then i don't have one

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
mr x said:
i already have new tries, yohahmmas, they're pretty sticky

rear sway bars arn't stock are they? if no then i don't have one
What model Yokohama? How much did you spend? What size?

Rear sway bars are stock in '85 and '89 models. If yours isn't either of those models, or it is and you just don't have a sway bar; it's a worth while upgrade. In fact, a full sway bar set (front & rear) would be worthwhile and in your budget. But changing sway bars can also give undesirable results if you don't actually know what you want to improve your car.

New struts are always a nice purchase, especially if the current ones are the original struts :D If you don't want anything adjustable like the Illuminas (which are basically out of your budget anyway), then get something like the Tokico HP which are non-adjustable and much cheaper. You can use OEM springs with these models too (Illumina and HP), so don't worry about that.

But the best upgrade is always learning the car first. I bet you could be a faster driver if you mastered the car in stock form, and then decided what route to take for upgrades from that point on; because then you know what you can change to match your driving style.

Also, if you're looking for good upgrades to drivability; check out http://twosrus.com for the short shifter upgrade & shifter/base bushings. Also, I found kirkosaurus' motor mount inserts were awesome on my daily driver MKI. Definatley worth the money

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Tokico HPs for struts. Keep the factory springs if you want to auto-x in stock class. If you want springs that will lower the car a little, stiffen it a bit, and still have a good ride, get Eibach ProKit. Change your brake fluid to something with a high boiling point (valvoline synthetic is cheap) and get some good pads. Axxis/PBR are good pads and not real expensive.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sounds like good ideas, i think i'm going to try running stock autocross first and see what i think and learn like Nitsud said to do,

my tires are:
205/45/16 AVID H4s though a connection i got them for $60 a peice, normal price was $110

·
I LOVE GOLD!
1,939 Posts
What year and how many miles on the car?

TM

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
mr x said:
my tires are:
205/45/16 AVID H4s though a connection i got them for $60 a peice, normal price was $110
Although the H4s are a pretty sticky tire for an all-season; there's definatley a lot more grip to be had with a performance summer tire. Of course, there'll be a trade off of treadlife and price, but the difference in grip is outstanding.

What's the climate like where you live? I would recommend next time you're shopping for tires, check out some high performance summer tires & consider a set of snow tires at the same time. Since you already have aftermarket rims, you could just get some stock wheels and some decent snow tires (if you get snow) and you'll be set for at least a few years worth of winter :)

I had a similar set up as you with some sporty all-seasons (205/50HR15 Falken Zeix ZE512) and I made the switch to pure summer performance tires (205/50ZR15 Bridgestone Potenza S-03) for the dry months and wow what a difference. Every aspect of the car was improved! Even a passenger that was riding with me at the time noticed massive improvements.

Let us know how your first autox goes for you! Have fun with the car man.

BTW, any pics?

·
Registered
617 Posts
I second the S0-3's... incredible tire! I've had them on for the last 15k miles and they are starting to wear out though!

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
They are definatley an extreme tire. 5-ply sidewalls!

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
go to the tire shop and pick some tires from the garbage pile

go out to some empty parking lot in the dead of night and slide slide slide

then get some sticky tires

to go fast in track or autocross, you must be able to feel everything about your specific car

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sounds like gooad advice, i still have alot of miles left on my all-weathers though and yes we do a some snow here in ohio, my car is 88' SC with 157K miles right now it's wreaked, a lil'

shew looks a little different now, switch to clear turn signel lendses and took off that ugly TRD sticker

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Car looks good man! What brand/model are those wheels?

If you're looking at a nice upgrade in the future, consider some lightweight 15" wheels instead of those 16s. Those look kind of heavy, and you'll get a nice improvement on all sides by switching to some lighter 15s :)

Unless of course you like the wheels, then screw it :D

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
my key point in suggesting the illuminas was that if you're spending 200 on Tokico HP's, you're halfway to a set of illuminas anyway. And you can't do anything with the HP's. They are no stiffer than new stock suspension. But if you want to auto-x, no stock strut will be anywhere near stiff, and the illuminas will do just that in a few seconds. Then you just set them right back to full soft for everyday driving when you're done. I guarantee you'll love having them. Plus check with all the local stock-class auto-x'ers... any of them not run adjustable shocks? Its probably the biggest mod allowed to cars in stock class.

I certainly 2nd sway bars, however check with the stock-class rules these days (if this is a concern, not sure how much auto-x'ing you'll be doing. but it pays not to out-class yourself unintentionally). I'm not sure how many sway bars you're allowed to change in stock, or even if you can add the rear if you didn't already have it.

And yes, skip springs, in auto-x they will only toss you out of stock (where as struts don't) and you'll have to deal with lowered ride height (the main reason most people change springs anyway), which you mentioned you don't like.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Nitsud said:
Car looks good man! What brand/model are those wheels?

If you're looking at a nice upgrade in the future, consider some lightweight 15" wheels instead of those 16s. Those look kind of heavy, and you'll get a nice improvement on all sides by switching to some lighter 15s :)

Unless of course you like the wheels, then screw it :D

yea i was thinking the same thing, i got those wheels for free though, and 2 of them got scratched in the wrek, so....... after i wear down my all weather tires i'll prob. sell those wheels and get some 15s 16 is just bigger than i want, AND a low choise of tires if i go 15s i could get alot of stuff, cheaper too. but i'll be stuck with these for awhile.

neko said:
my key point in suggesting the illuminas was that if you're spending 200 on Tokico HP's, you're halfway to a set of illuminas anyway. And you can't do anything with the HP's. They are no stiffer than new stock suspension. But if you want to auto-x, no stock strut will be anywhere near stiff, and the illuminas will do just that in a few seconds. Then you just set them right back to full soft for everyday driving when you're done. I guarantee you'll love having them. Plus check with all the local stock-class auto-x'ers... any of them not run adjustable shocks? Its probably the biggest mod allowed to cars in stock class.

I certainly 2nd sway bars, however check with the stock-class rules these days (if this is a concern, not sure how much auto-x'ing you'll be doing. but it pays not to out-class yourself unintentionally). I'm not sure how many sway bars you're allowed to change in stock, or even if you can add the rear if you didn't already have it.

And yes, skip springs, in auto-x they will only toss you out of stock (where as struts don't) and you'll have to deal with lowered ride height (the main reason most people change springs anyway), which you mentioned you don't like.

i see what you mean wit hthe lumina's in that case i guess i'll get $250 edibrch pro kit springs first, then start savin for the $380 lumina's thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
you should be able to find the eibach's cheaper than that. if not, check for a used set on here. springs don't exactly wear out...
i think maybe once i've paid over 150 for a set of springs. (those ever-hard-to-find SusTech mk1 springs)
I think the pro-kit will get you what you want for lowering without being too extreme. also, remember, those springs will toss you out of stock class in auto-x (springs aren't allowed, struts are). if you were planning to be competetive without going way overboard, i think thats the only place for a mk1. of course, you may only be out to have some fun and gain driving experience. (none of my cars have stock springs, i'm not one to preach too much ;) )

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I'm doing OK in CSP with my MKISC. I have stock engine, header, 2.5" exhaust, Eibach springs, Tokico blues, and street tires. Not the best mods but I still have a good ride on the street and am still competitive in auto-x. I spent the season chasing a Porsche 944 with race rubber. He was beating me by 2-3 seconds at the start of the season and .2 of second at the end. Whether you win or not, it's fun and improves your driving.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts