MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never worked on the mkII but have been looking to buy one. I have interest in one but it has a broken shifter lever. I could have the car transported to me if need be but I would rather get this repaired before traveling home ~250 miles. So the question, is this a simple process on the mr2 turbo? Estimated timeline for the repair in a driveway? I was thinking about just picking up a short shifter since I can get one easy enough and quickly. Is there anything else I should buy to be sure I have everything I need? I would rather have $150 in spare parts I don’t need then be searching for a part on a nasty surprise. I am posting a picture on the sellers listing so you can get an idea of the situation. Also I am east coast with an early job so if I don’t get back quick it’s because I am bad about staying up these day.
C504E892-A6D7-42C9-8705-67EDEC406A34.jpeg

·
Registered
91 gen 4 swap, 00 stock until the K20 gets installed.
148 Posts
That's the shift rod on the transmission you'll have to find someone selling one from a parted out transmission and that photo isn't showing all of the pieces. I'm not sure if that can be changed with the transmission still in the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the shift rod on the transmission you'll have to find someone selling one from a parted out transmission and that photo isn't showing all of the pieces. I'm not sure if that can be changed with the transmission still in the car.
Thank you for the info, I was thinking the linkage didn’t look like a simple as a new short shifter. Wishful thinking on my part I guess.

·
Super Moderator
2,802 Posts
Thank you for the info, I was thinking the linkage didn’t look like a simple as a new short shifter. Wishful thinking on my part I guess.
Unfortunately that's broken transmission part like what @tabKola says. It's a late model part too. 93+? Not likely able to find it new and a bit of work to put it back together.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately that's broken transmission part like what @tabKola says. It's a late model part too. 93+? Not likely able to find it new and a bit of work to put it back together.
Yeah the car is a 93. Overall the car looks well maintained and mileage is reasonable. Searching around it almost looks like I would be ordering a transmission for this part or finding someone here selling one.

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,228 Posts
Yep, I've seen the ad for this car. $8500 and has around 100k miles. I just wonder how in the heck the shift shaft was broken. I've heard of broken shift forks, but not the shaft. Anyway, whoever buys it better know what they're getting into before trailering that car home.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, I've seen the ad for this car. $8500 and has around 100k miles. I just wonder how in the heck the shift shaft was broken. I've heard of broken shift forks, but not the shaft. Anyway, whoever buys it better know what they're getting into before trailering that car home.
That’s the one. I am doing this more for sentimental value and fun so having something I have to trailer isn’t a huge deal for me but it is for the wife when I buy something that I can’t drive home 😂. Finding this part has been a chore on search engines, looks like someone might have to purchase an entire transmission to get their hands on this part

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,228 Posts
The 93 shift shaft part number is 33261-17050.
Some online dealers show it as discontinued, some still list it as available. I like TRDShop.com. Might be worth calling them to see if it really is still available, if you haven't been down that road with another dealer already.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some online dealers show it as discontinued, some still list it as available. I like TRDShop.com. Might be worth calling them to see if it really is still available, if you haven't been down that road with another dealer already.
I love you right now

·
Registered
328 Posts
These days if one or more sites say an item is discontinued, chances are the other sites saying it's in stock haven't updated the status yet. Definitely call or email ahead to avoid the whole pay-then-wait-for-refund cycle. Also check MR2 Heaven or MR2 Chop Shop to see if they have this part used.

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,228 Posts
A couple years ago I was able to buy an E153 center casing, shift shaft assembly and some MR2 specific mounts from MR2 Heaven. These were from a broken tranny they had. I used the parts to convert an E53 from an ES300 for using in a MK2.

·
Registered
1992 JDM RHD Turbo T-Top All Stock
52 Posts
Maybe I am a pessimist or a negative nancy, but I wouldn't shell out much money for a "not running" car. If you can't shift it, it isn't running.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe I am a pessimist or a negative nancy, but I wouldn't shell out much money for a "not running" car. If you can't shift it, it isn't running.
I agree but this is fine being a project car. I wouldn’t mind building the engine or swapping a 2gr motor. If this was possibly a daily driver I would never consider the purchase. This is more for fun and garage time. I might put 200-500 miles a year on it at best.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sounds like you know what you're doing.

"It's not really running" -> Perhaps a good negotiating point to get that price down more :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like you know what you're doing.

"It's not really running" -> Perhaps a good negotiating point to get that price down more :)
Sorry to change the subject but I have also been looking at JDM mr2. Did you have yours imported or was it already in your country when you got yours? I was just curious how your experience was importing a car? I have seen some I really like

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mine was already in the country. Plus, I'm in canada... so our rules are different.

My advice is to use an importer to handle everything for you.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Ah, this part. I thought it was the source of a transmission problem I had a few years ago, removed it and checked it for straightness, slightly bent, I modeled it in CAD to potentially make replacements. But it wasn't my issue afterall.

I believe it's possible to remove in the car but it won't be fun. Not sure if the pic you posted is from the car for sale, if it is that should answer the question of if it can be removed in the car. The back end of that shaft rests/rides on a needle bearing in a cap that is secured with 4 screws on the top side of the transmission. You'll have to reinstall the C shaped cage that goes on it to actuate the actual shift shafts that ride along the input/output shafts. Then try to slide it in. According to my model it's 285mm long, you may be able to ask for some measurements fore and aft where it installs in the transmission to take a guess if you wanna give replacing it a shot before trailering.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ah, this part. I thought it was the source of a transmission problem I had a few years ago, removed it and checked it for straightness, slightly bent, I modeled it in CAD to potentially make replacements. But it wasn't my issue afterall.

I believe it's possible to remove in the car but it won't be fun. Not sure if the pic you posted is from the car for sale, if it is that should answer the question of if it can be removed in the car. The back end of that shaft rests/rides on a needle bearing in a cap that is secured with 4 screws on the top side of the transmission. You'll have to reinstall the C shaped cage that goes on it to actuate the actual shift shafts that ride along the input/output shafts. Then try to slide it in. According to my model it's 285mm long, you may be able to ask for some measurements fore and aft where it installs in the transmission to take a guess if you wanna give replacing it a shot before trailering.
Awesome information, I am weighing options on what to do but I would love to have it driving before I left Florida. I have a mechanic in the family in Ocala who is willing to meet me there if I make the trip to purchase the car. Right now it’s up in limbo as the seller is moving and has not cranked the car on in over a year. On the plus it gives me time to keep shopping the market, the down side I am not the most patient person when I want to buy something 😂

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
I searched endlessly for this shaft from Toyota dealers. Discovered that it was NLA and no stock out there. Even the importer amayama didn’t have any available. I exchanged PM’s with two different individuals on this message board who ended their search with the same results. I’d have to search my PM’s to remember how they fixed this issue.

As of 2020 you could purchase a new E153, so you’d think that Toyota would have parts available. I waited months for the new trans to arrive. It came from Japan.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
By chance is that part interchangeable with the S54 transmission? I know they have several design similarities. Having a hard time finding just the part by number but have found a junk s54 transmission for cheap

1 - 20 of 23 Posts