MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the rain we've had, some of the pot-holes in Oregon need to be filled from the China end. Thus, I've broken a sway bar bushing bracket, right at the bend.

I have ST bars on both ends and the car spends the summer on the track. I haven't found any 'upgrades' to the brackets in my search. Should I just bite the bullet and pay Toyota $30 for a new set or is there something better out there?

By the way, I assumed my improvised end-link brackets on the rear would ultimately prove to be the achilles heel of my suspension set-up, but they've held on through a number of problems with the front bar and it's stock hardware.

Unwilling to wait over a year for retro-tabs, this has turned out to be a track proven, reliable option.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume you're asking about the rear endlink mount I posted a picture of, not the front bushing bracket I was looking for potential upgrades on.

(I have since mounted a stack of 3 properly sized conduit clamps in hopes of holding it for the week it will take to get originals from Toyota.)

The strut-tab collars themselves aren't anything too complicated to adapt as a bolt-on with some basic shop tools (Drill press and a decent set of taps & dies.) They consist of 2" ID split-collar shaft clamps from McMaster-Carr (under $10 each) that I carefully marked, drilled and tapped (on a press) to accept the bolt from the endlink kit.

This was for an 89, so I don't know what diameter would be needed for the smaller struts on earlier models.

The Grade 8 bolt w/ nylon washer snugs up to the endlink, while a second nut with a lockwasher was used to torque it to the collar itself. The bolt protrudes inside the collar about 1/32" and makes a nice set-screw against the strut housing while it's there.

It's been on there for daily driving on horrible roads and 5-6 track days over the course of a year with the ST bar set on soft.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts