MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can everyone post their brake setup here? I tried to search the forum, the information is not quite enough. I want to refresh my whole brake system. Thanks.

Brake Pads Front and Rear?
Brake Rotors Front and Rear?
Calipers Front and Rear?
Stainless Brake hose?

Thanks a lot. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
High temp grease for the sliders, new fluid (preferably a performance fluid - not DOT-5).

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
86aw11, how much of a difference did you notice with the MC Brace? I'm thinking of fabbing up something for myself if it's worth it.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I think most AW11 people are going to be using about the same things:

87 NA

Rock Auto rotors
Earl's SS Lines
Rebuilt OEM calipers
OEM pads
Motul 600

If considering rebuilding your calipers I would buy a rebuild kit for the fronts. For the rears I would just buy new calipers.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
I'd just start by refurbing the stock setup. SS lines, good fluid, and new padsof your preference (if necess. rotors too). also if you don't already use the 87+ rotors, order them and get the brackets to use them. See how that fairs for ya.

My setup:
new Raybestos rotors F&R (87+)
New pads (std. replacement in Front, Hawk in Rear)
celica st165 all-trac dual piston Front calipers, stock mk1 rears
SS lines

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
neko said:
I'd just start by refurbing the stock setup. SS lines, good fluid, and new padsof your preference (if necess. rotors too). also if you don't already use the 87+ rotors, order them and get the brackets to use them. See how that fairs for ya.

My setup:
new Raybestos rotors F&R (87+)
New pads (std. replacement in Front, Hawk in Rear)
celica st165 all-trac dual piston Front calipers, stock mk1 rears
SS lines

do those bolt right up to ours???? the dual piston

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
nw_mr2 said:
86aw11, how much of a difference did you notice with the MC Brace? I'm thinking of fabbing up something for myself if it's worth it.
I did notice a slight increase in pedal feel. I wouldn't say it was a night/day difference. Combined with SS brake lines my brakes are easier for me to modulate right to the edge of locking up. I do wish I had more rear bias though.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Brembos rotors all around
Axxis Ultimates
Earls lines
prop valve eliminated
Master Cylinder Brace
ATS super blue fluid

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
yes, brembo sells front and back, AFAIK. check ebay right off, or most larger performance shops online.

and to answer 85mk1's question, yes. the calipers bolt right up, however either their brakcet needs to be milled about 3mm or the rotor needs to be spaced out 3mm to make them line up right. i also suspect you could just get celica rotors (same diameter, diff offset) and redrill them for 4bolt. but if you dont' need new rotors its the more expensive option. bout it for the st165 fitment. larger rotors and single pot's from the st185 also bolt right up with some rotor redrilling.

If you want more info on these tho, do a search in the mk1 brake/susp forum. there's plenty of threads on it, without hijacking this one into another. ;)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Junkyard dawg '86 AW11 with 260k miles, set up primarily for CSP autocross

OEM rotors & pads
'87+ junkyard rear rotors & caliper brackets (kept the '86 calipers all 'round)
Rebuilt calipers using cheapo Kragen kits
Motul 600 fluid
Earl's (if memory serves?) SS braided lines front/back
Stock proportioning valve removed (to help get rid of front brake bias)

No more early front brake lock-up under HARD braking...

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
ITA-MR2 said:
High temp grease for the sliders, new fluid (preferably a performance fluid - not DOT-5).
But Motul DOT 5.1 is good
Same boiling piont as DOT5 but not a sythetic.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
You probably mean "silicone-based". Most Dot 5.1's are synthetic.
Big difference in DOT 5 and 5.1 tho. Most cars can use 3, 4, and 5.1. Just plain "Dot 5" is for silicone setups.
There are plenty of good Dot 5.1 fluids out there, ranging price from expensive to rediculous. The best i know of under that range is Valvoline Synthetic (Dot 4), which can be had at most auto parts store, cost only like 6bux for a whole quart, and the ratings fall just a bit shy of meeting dot5.1 standards, in fact.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Front:
ST185 front rotors
ST185 single piston front Callipers
Bendix ultimate pads

Rear:
AW11 front rotors with a spacer between the rotor and hub
SW20 Gen3 turbo rear Caliper
EBC Green stuff pads

Stock lines
Dot 4 fluid

·
Registered
552 Posts
For now, bone stock.

In the spring:

brianlp said:
NAPA rotors
Axxis/PBR: Metal Masters front, Ultimates rear
Valvoline Synthetic fluid
...except I'll probably use ATE Super Blue Racing, because I have an unopened can leftover from my Miata.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts