MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Brake FAQ - Rotor, caliper, MC sizes

63K views 72 replies 29 participants last post by  Ignatius_Reilly 
traffic said:
The '93 turbo rotors are thicker as well as larger in dia. The '93t calipers are wider to fit the thicker rotor. The brackets are different to accomodate the larger dia rotor.
Since this is true couldnt you use 91t calipers on 93t Brackets and 93t rotors since the brackets accomodate the larger rotors? I remember a while back that someone was saying that I could get 93t caliper brackets and the 91t rear caliper fits right on thus allowing the extra room now for the larger diameter of the 93t rotors. Can anyone verify this for sure? The only downside I can think of is that you might have to shave the brake pads a little to fit the thicker rotor, but we arent talking much here(5-6mm so 2-3mm per pad tops).

scarecrowX said:
the holes would be too close together to work out. they're even pretty close going from a stock 91t to a 12" rotor. i actually have brackets drawn for a 12" rotor upgrade using the 91t calipers, but i'm going to use porsche 996 calipers/supra (if they fit, or LS400 if they don't) rotors in the front instead.

the stock caliper upgrade would have used acura RSX-S rotors up front, and front rotors from the 96-01 rav4 on the rear. they're almost exactly the same dimensions as the 91t rotors, only larger diameter.

i'd be happy to fork over the details to someone who wanted to actually contemplate building it, so long as it's not for profit...

i've done a LOT of brake research in the past 5 years :D
VERY GOOD INFO. Thank you! Sent you a PM with my email so you can send me the details, Ive been researching rotor specs to upgrade using oem 91t calipers for a while now. Glad you can help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.