MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Done a search for what lubricant to use on the caliper's sliding pins and don't find what I'd like to know - namely are there any specific greases or whatever to use on these pins ?
I'd found a split boot that'd caused the pin to seize up, so I'd then cleaned up all four front brake pins and re-assembled them using some so called High Temperature grease from the local auto parts shop. A few thousand miles later on and they're all seized - worse than before - with the grease having gone solid. Not very good grease, methinks.
Anyone recommend some good / right stuff ?
Simon.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
The caliper rebuild kit from Toyota comes with all new boots and packets of pinkish colored grease in a little packet. I just rebuilt a set with these, but have only about 10 miles on them. :)

Otherwise I've tried numerous types. High vacuum indistrial silicone worked OK. I bet it's similar to the stuff I got in packets at Autozone for $1 to do brakes. I've used that with moderate success. At first, I used the silver anti-sieze. That worked OK as well. Nothing seems to stay nice and lubed or very long. I found myself cleaning things up about every 2-3 years and applying some new stuff. The only time mine ever seized completely (failed to float) was when I had a tear in the boot that rusted the caliper casting on the rear. Otherwise I'd find that eventually I'd have a hanging pad that wore down faster, but the caliper still moved... just not well enough.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
yeah, thats why i hate sliding calipers ^
thank goodness my subaru doesn't have them. even my 60k mile, pampered garage-queen 93T mk2 has issues with inside pads wearing out 2x as fast.
when i reassembled and greased my slider pins on the front calipers on my 88 mk1, i used brake grease. super slick stuff. they haven't had a problem since.

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
Its also worth the effort to clean to brake pad sliders on the caliper mounts and lube them too. Use very little grease here, you don't want it on your pads/rotors.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
the permatex green package grease is CRAP. absolute crap. it dries out and becomes ineffective in about a week.. literally.

toyota makes a real nice copper colored lube that works nicely. i think it has actual copper in it, it seems metallic. its long lasting, and actually works.. unlike the permatex crap. i havent seen stores carry anything similar.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's the stuff I got from the local autp parts shop - green Permatex - and I have to agree with you,- it's absolute rubbish and was a complete waste of time and effort. We used to be able to get something called Coppa-slip (or sounds like that) in the UK - it was also copper coloured and metallic in appearance. Now that WAS good stuff.
Anyway, a local brake / tyre shop here in San Diego gave me some of the stuff they use on their brake jobs, so I'll see how that stuff lasts. Looked like a moly based grease.
Thanks for all the comments.

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
TomsMR2 said:
the permatex green package grease is CRAP. absolute crap. it dries out and becomes ineffective in about a week.. literally.

toyota makes a real nice copper colored lube that works nicely. i think it has actual copper in it, it seems metallic. its long lasting, and actually works.. unlike the permatex crap. i havent seen stores carry anything similar.

That is the real good stuff. :)

It is an anti-sieze/lubricant and is available in copper or silver. Loctite makes it.

One of these days I will put my Loctite kits on the website.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts