MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Done a search for what lubricant to use on the caliper's sliding pins and don't find what I'd like to know - namely are there any specific greases or whatever to use on these pins ?
I'd found a split boot that'd caused the pin to seize up, so I'd then cleaned up all four front brake pins and re-assembled them using some so called High Temperature grease from the local auto parts shop. A few thousand miles later on and they're all seized - worse than before - with the grease having gone solid. Not very good grease, methinks.
Anyone recommend some good / right stuff ?
Simon.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
The caliper rebuild kit from Toyota comes with all new boots and packets of pinkish colored grease in a little packet. I just rebuilt a set with these, but have only about 10 miles on them. :)

Otherwise I've tried numerous types. High vacuum indistrial silicone worked OK. I bet it's similar to the stuff I got in packets at Autozone for $1 to do brakes. I've used that with moderate success. At first, I used the silver anti-sieze. That worked OK as well. Nothing seems to stay nice and lubed or very long. I found myself cleaning things up about every 2-3 years and applying some new stuff. The only time mine ever seized completely (failed to float) was when I had a tear in the boot that rusted the caliper casting on the rear. Otherwise I'd find that eventually I'd have a hanging pad that wore down faster, but the caliper still moved... just not well enough.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
yeah, thats why i hate sliding calipers ^
thank goodness my subaru doesn't have them. even my 60k mile, pampered garage-queen 93T mk2 has issues with inside pads wearing out 2x as fast.
when i reassembled and greased my slider pins on the front calipers on my 88 mk1, i used brake grease. super slick stuff. they haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
the permatex green package grease is CRAP. absolute crap. it dries out and becomes ineffective in about a week.. literally.

toyota makes a real nice copper colored lube that works nicely. i think it has actual copper in it, it seems metallic. its long lasting, and actually works.. unlike the permatex crap. i havent seen stores carry anything similar.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the stuff I got from the local autp parts shop - green Permatex - and I have to agree with you,- it's absolute rubbish and was a complete waste of time and effort. We used to be able to get something called Coppa-slip (or sounds like that) in the UK - it was also copper coloured and metallic in appearance. Now that WAS good stuff.
Anyway, a local brake / tyre shop here in San Diego gave me some of the stuff they use on their brake jobs, so I'll see how that stuff lasts. Looked like a moly based grease.
Thanks for all the comments.

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
TomsMR2 said:
the permatex green package grease is CRAP. absolute crap. it dries out and becomes ineffective in about a week.. literally.

toyota makes a real nice copper colored lube that works nicely. i think it has actual copper in it, it seems metallic. its long lasting, and actually works.. unlike the permatex crap. i havent seen stores carry anything similar.

That is the real good stuff. :)

It is an anti-sieze/lubricant and is available in copper or silver. Loctite makes it.

One of these days I will put my Loctite kits on the website.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.