MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 4agze I bought off e-bay recently turns out to be an expensive boat anchor. Just did a compression check and the numbers were 30, 90, 120 and 90. :rolleyes:

The guy I bought it from has the ebay name signalautosupra -- his company's called Anarchy Motors and he's currently advertising another SC package right now. Beware!

I sent the guy an e-mail -- doubt there's much I can do unless I'm willing to pay to ship it back to him.

I can probably part everything out and get most of my money back, but needless to say, I'm extremely disappointed :banghead:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Ouch, sucks you gotta deal with that. Hopefully you'll make a majority of your money back and have a block to keep around if you ever decide to rebuild.

I'd advice going through a reputable importer that at least has a start up guarentee.

I gotta check the compression on my block, but it's been so long since I bought it, so I'm not sure if I'd be able to do anything at this point if it were bad.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
His e-bay ad said the engines were compression tested before shipment and they came with a 30 day startup guarantee.

Like an idiot, I didn't compresion test it the first day. Instead, I stripped off all the SC components and accessories. Even if he agress to take it back -- with me paying shipping -- I would have to put everything back together. :rolleyes:

I put a little oil into cylinder one, which was at 30 initially. That raised the compression slightly to about 36. Not sure what that means. What's the most likely culprit? Bad valves or rings?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, the e-bay seller just responded back and said we might be able to work things out.

He also said to spray wd40 into the cylinders and let it set for 36 hours and then try the compression test again. He claimed that an engine that's been sitting awhile can have low compression, and apparently the WD40 treatment is supposed to help.... does that sound logical?

·
Registered
13,231 Posts
I don't know if the WD40 treatment would help but i'm sorry to hear about your news. I guess I was one of the lucky ones to get a running jdm motor. But i'm glad to hear that you 'might' be able to work things out. I thought adding a little oil to a cylinder should be good enough? anyways good luck to you james.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I'd try some marvel mystery oil. Just a few drops in each cylinder.

·
Registered
398 Posts
that's sucks.... it's definitely a gamble, some of these engines coming from Japan could have been off the road for as much as 10 years, so it's possible that WD40 might help free up the rings, another thing that works is dextron tranny fluid. I don't know how trust worthy this guy is tho, if he said it was compression tested in the first place.

My import engine obviously had sat for a while when I got it, and then it sat for another two years before I got around to doing anything with it. Compression was still excellent but valve seals were shot. I'll be putting in new seals and just gonna keep driving it with the rest the way it is.

Neil

·
Charter Member - Group W
2,028 Posts
30 is way low to be just rings. I would suspect a valve closure issue - especially if it doesn't respond to oil. Could also be a severly blown HG.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
from the manual...if adding oil to low compression cylinder does not increase compression drastically, the seals are all right and the culprit is more than likely a headgasket especially if two next to each other are having the same problem.

so you probably have a blown headgasket, take the head off and replace it. alot of work for "a working engine" but better than a paper weight :D

·
Registered
266 Posts
I agree with Mace if you added oil and only gained 6 psi it ain't a ring or cylinder problem. Even on my recent adventure with the cracked piston I could get good compression with a little oil squirt.

If I was a gambling man I would bet my money on a valve seat issue on that cylinder.

The variation on the other 3 cylinders could??? have something to do with sitting around and I would be more apt to believe some oil magic might help.

I won't charge the standard $0.02 for the opinion :smile:

It really sucks - Sorry!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I squirted WD40 into the cylinders on Saturday and Sunday afternoon did a retest and got much better results -- 90/120/124/120. Cylinder 1 was initially 30 -- 90 still isn't right, tho.

I poured a little tranny fluid in that cylinder and will try it again tonight. Hope it comes up like the others did after soaking for a day.

If I end up with near 120 across the board, that's okay right? What are the typical compression readings on a 4agze?

James

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Spec is 156psi, min is 121, max difference is 14.

If oil helps, then it's most likely a piston ring or cylinder walls.

that's from the bgb,

good luck

·
Registered
266 Posts
Not trying to steal the thread here but while were talking compression.

Riddle me this. My previous compression was 150psi on all 4. I cracked the piston. Put in one new piston and rings now I've got 180psi on all 4. Additional info, the oil turned black very quick on the first go around. So it tells me I did something wrong with the rings. What did I f'up 1st time? BTW the motor runs GREAT now!!!

·
Charter Member - Group W
2,028 Posts
Well, there is an "UP" side on a piston ring...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts