MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am a little new heree and I have a big question, what would it take to boost a 5sfe without swapping the motor? Can I keep the same head and get a custom intake and exhaust, or need a head swap. All info would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Well I'll say this now, so you wont kill your engine later. Many Na owner want more power and think that its easier to just add a trubo..sadly many have tried and failed, only a few done it, but only to lasts for months, then it died.

It is possible, you just have to do it right. Tear down the and beef up the enterinals, which means you need to spend more money. When you add all if it up you end up with paying as much as you would for a 3sgte. And the power gain is lower than a stock turbo engine. Unless you want to spend more money.

But if your lucky and know where to get cheap parts, and want just 40 or more hp then try your luck on it.

G

·
islandmr2 said:
Hey guys, I am a little new heree and I have a big question, what would it take to boost a 5sfe without swapping the motor? Can I keep the same head and get a custom intake and exhaust, or need a head swap. All info would be great. Thanks
The first (and last) person to ever turbo their 5S-FE boosted so strong that the car dissipated and allegedly went back to the future.

Toyota actually has a disclaimer on turbocharging the 5S-FE because of this. Last I heard the guy got his head bitten off by a dinosaur or some ____.

All in all, I'd advice against it.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
The 3sgte was designed and built for forced incustion. It has all the appropriate sensors and controls, and the ECU is programmed to control a forced induction setup.

The 5sfe was never intened to be FI, does not have the necessary peripherals, or proper engine management.

So why don't you just do a 3sgte swap, and take advantage of the original Toyota engineering?

bill

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
billwot said:
The 3sgte was designed and built for forced incustion. It has all the appropriate sensors and controls, and the ECU is programmed to control a forced induction setup.

The 5sfe was never intened to be FI, does not have the necessary peripherals, or proper engine management.

So why don't you just do a 3sgte swap, and take advantage of the original Toyota engineering?

bill
what he said.. high compression + high boost = failure with that setup.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Epic| said:
It's not compression. The 5S-FE is not a high compression engine. The problem is it's an economy 4 banger. Can it be made to work? Yep. Can it make good power? Yep. Are you going to break it? Yep.
It has higher compression than the 3sgte.

3sgte= 8.5:1

5sfe= 9.5:1

bill

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Great another turbo 5sfe thread being filled with myths and misimformation. You guys kill me.

Bill is right though that a 3sgte swap is better option if you want to just swap and forget but plenty of people blow those up too when they don't know what they are doing. The MR2 boards have helped to cut down the instances of people killing motors for stupid reasons but they also have perpetuated this attitude of "their way is the right way" that has stiffled a lot of inovation.

It is fine to tell someone that the easiest, most reliable way is to do a full 3sgte swap but we are doing the community a disservice if we do not also educate people about the other options when they ask, even when those options require more effort and knowledge to make work.

To the OP, do a search for 5sfte and turbo 5sfe and start learning. It requires a level of knowledge on your part that is higher then your average MR2 owner to do it right. If you are looking for cheap easy power and are not willing to take the time to learn then it is the wrong road for you.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
The gen2 3sgte is 8.8:1 and many aftermarket 3sgte pistons are 9:1. The 9.5:1 in the 5sfe is NOT high compression by any stretch of the imagination.

Also the internals do not need to be upgraded unless you plan to up the rev limit. We have seen 5sfte's with all stock internals getting up around 280rwhp and 300rwtq.

The key to a successful 5sfe is in the engine management. The people who shortcut this are the ones that break motors. If you have a rev1 5sfe, you need both Fuel and timing control. If you have a rev2 then you can get away with fuel only and let the knock system handle the timing but it is still better to have the timing control too.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Epic| said:
I said nothing relating the 5S-FE's compression to the 3S-GTE's.
I agree, you didn't compare the 5sfe CR to the 3sgte CR...but I did. :smile:

And actually, when Toyota (or Yamaha) chose to adapt teh 3sge to forced induction, they dropped the CR from 8.8:1 to 8.5:1.

bill

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Thicker head gasket is not needed. You can run 12-14psi on a 5sfe all day long if you have the fuel and timing remapped using a piggyback or EMS. The mechanicals of the 5sfe are fine for boost, it's the engine control that needs to be updated to support it. The 5sftes that work are the ones where people have done their homework.

And the gen2 3sgte is in fact 8.8:1. If you doubt it look up the specs and do the math. Or you can trust what others have done:

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=131923

The Gen3 is 8.5:1 though which makes sense because they run a little more boost in stock form.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
a healthy engine and a standalone is all you need to boost a 5s. The compression is not too high, the head gasket is not too weak, and the internals are strong enough.

mine died due to running the engine w/o oil once and driving the piss out of it and it having 170k miles.

but it made 200ft pounds at 2600!
and 250 ft pounds at 3000 rpm !

show me a 3sgte that does that.

maxed out at 285ish at 3700

im now building a forged 5sgte 87.5mm bore becuase, i couldnt find a low mileage 5s cheap enough worth putting in the car and im planning on a bigger turbo

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
also if your tuning yourself i think 14 degrees of advance at 15 psi is about perfect. Much different than a 3sgte.

Thats total timing not base timing for you noobs. base is 10

·
Registered
431 Posts
Nothing wrong with turbo on the 5S-FE. Its wrong when you expect to get same or more power then a stock 3S-GTE. Keeping boost around 7 psi should be safe and easy. If you still want more, start spending.
Even a 7A-FE take 7 psi with no problem. It blow up after owner took it passed 12psi.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks guys, well, like I originally stated, I am not interested in swapping the motor out. I dont want to change the internals either, I bought the car from the first owner, he drove it on the highway most of the time and then put it in storage for like 6 years, he was an old man, and just wanted to get rid of it, by the way, i didnt mention that I picked it up for 2,000? I have good oil pressure, no leaks of any kind and, hte car was very clean and teken care of. But back to business, So basically I need the entire turbo kit, a piggyback system and a lot of other things, now would it be better to go with a custom manifold and intercooler setup or what? Because guys, I am like this, when people say something cant be done, I do it. So there is no talking me out of it. So give me advice on what I need and you will see the most badass turbo 5sfe to have ever walked this planet

1 - 20 of 24 Posts