MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running a 2nd gen jspec with a ct20b. I dont have a boost controller so it will spike at 16 and hold anywhere from 13-15 psi. Here is my problem: occasionally my car will stick at 8 psi and wont boost any higher, then all of a sudden a few minutes later it will be back up at 13-15. I have no clue why it is doing this so any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whats a TVSV, sorry, kind of new to this stuff......and i have a FCD so i know its not that.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so is it possible that my knock sensor has gone bad, and is holding the boost back even though it shouldnt be? im not really pushing the limits of my motor too much, so i wouldnt think it should retard the timing as often as it does, if thats what its doing. lol, if you cant tell ive got a lot to learn.....

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
makes since, sounds like the TVSV is running in low boost mode for some reason, and then it goes back to regular boost. I will be sure to have my mechanic check that out. Thanks for the thread bill.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
JSPEC2 said:
makes since, sounds like the TVSV is running in low boost mode for some reason, and then it goes back to regular boost. .
The normal reasons are 1) the engine (coolant) is not fully up to temp, or 2) ambient temps are at or below freezing. (There is some variation in the low ambient temp setpoint).

If this is what's happening, then everything is OK.

bill

·
Registered
450 Posts
If you're doggin on your car and it starts knocking, it will pull boost and start back up later when it has gotten under control.

Check to see if your spark plugs are in good shape, and try swappin them out to colder plugs if that's the problem.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, i just did new plugs, rotor assembly, dist cap and wires so its not that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts