MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

boost problem

402 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  billwot 
#1 ·
does anybody know what limits the boost when our cars are cold or it is cold outside when it is below 40 degrees out my car will only boost to 7 to 8 lbs
i have a k@n filter ko dp and boost controller tvis is removed factory boost sensor is unhooked as well what is left to limit boost????

#4 ·
flatblack887 said:
can i disconnect this??? i always let my car warm up before i drive it or can to cold of air harm my car when boosting 15+ lbs?? thanks for the help.
because there is nothing worse than some mustang messing with me when it is a little to cold out and geting stomped.
You can do whatever you want.

But...warming up that car raises the engine coolant temp, not the ambient air temp. When its 30 F outside, its 30F, no matter how much you warm up the engine.

bill

#6 ·
flatblack887 said:
but is the vsv what is not letting the car boost when it is cold out
Actually, it is only letting it boost ~ 8 psi. That's exactly what Toyota wants it to do.

High boost and low ambient temps significantly increase the risk of detonation. Like I said, you can disable it if you choose, but its there for a reason.

And If you disable it, you will have to re-set your boost controller. Actually, the T/VSV is really a bleed-off boost controller, and increases boost when it is energized. If you disable it, you will only have one boost mode-low boost.

bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.