MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
im having a hard time trying to take this two bolts one is under the ex. manifold and that bolt is so i can remove it but it wont come off i already put some DW 40 but something. and the other one is the end of the manifold that holds the turbo and one is hard too. im using a 14mm combination wretch but for the end of the manifold but it just doesnt fit that well. can anyone tell me that will fit just right for the bolt. and which tool to remove the bolts cuz its to hard??
all show you which one is it but i dont know how to put a pic on here?

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
The turbo bolts are easier to get off if you do remove the manifold and the turbo together. Unless you have a good reason to change the head gasket, I would leave it alone. Does the engine turn over okay now?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the reason i changing the gasket its cuz im doing a swap and i want to change that b4 i installed the motor and also i think the gasket went bad. ok but i cant remove one of the bolts that is under the manifold.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Can you connect the starter and do a compression test? Once you begin repairing things that you think may be wrong with the engine, it may be hard to find a place to stop. If you bought the engine and it is supposed to be good, you will not get any money back if you tear into it.

If you have the heat shields off, I think you should be able to access all the bolts on the manifold with a socket and extension.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
nicomr21 said:
can turbo be taken out without taking exhaust manifold off? I remember I once tried, but ended taking manifold also..
yes, but it increases the time it takes to do the job by quite a bit. why take the time to undo 4 bolts that hold the turbo to exhaust mani which are pretty hard to get to, while you can unbolt the exhaust mani in like 5 minutes (if you take you time and know where to look for the bolts). which are easily accessible and most are visually seen.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Byron said:
Can you connect the starter and do a compression test? Once you begin repairing things that you think may be wrong with the engine, it may be hard to find a place to stop. If you bought the engine and it is supposed to be good, you will not get any money back if you tear into it.

If you have the heat shields off, I think you should be able to access all the bolts on the manifold with a socket and extension.
yes i know but i just wanna upgrade to a better gasket and i took of the heat shield off and i see all the bolts but there is one that i just cant take off, i try to turn it to that left and nothing then a lil to the right, then back to the left and still nothing, all the other bolts came off just fine but one i just cant. i should a 14mm socket right?

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Seems like I have used something like PB Blaster, or something like that. But the approach to keep moving it back and forth is good. Very few people are lucky enough to get all of them off without breaking a stud, or pulling the threads out of the head.

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.