MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is my story:

some bozo rear-ended my widebody on the freeway. the car had a great paint job and great fitment, which isn't easy to do but not impossible to find.

after taking some advice from some board members of shops that dealt with MR2 widebodies in oakland, i brought it into auto world body and frame in oakland. don't be mistaken, there are two similarly named shops, this one is located near lake merritt. i couldn't afford the time to bring it down to san jose to Apex.

they quoted me $1200 for the total repair. there was some frame damage and i was required to order the bumper (which was included in the quote). results:

1. poor paint job. very poor IMO.
2. they did not reconnect my tail lights. i didn't notice until it was too late and i got a fix-it ticket for them.
3. they rolled my rear fenders back instead of cutting/shaving the bumper to fit the fender. it's noticeable if you spend the time to look.
4. Instead of $1200, i ended up paying close to $1600. when i went to pay, he charged me $1700, until i notified him that i had on paper a $1200 quote from him, and that was down to the fasteners that were going to be used. i payed for the bumper that he did not deduct from the $1200 quote.

now if anyone is more familiar with bodyshop work, and knows that i'm over reacting feel free to correct me. i just can't understand why a recommended shop would not pay close enough detail.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
I'm confused as to what's going on here? :confused:

If you got rear ended the "Bozo's" insurance should be paying for ALL of this. Not you. Also it sounds like you got everything in writing. Why is the price higher? As a consumer they must meet your requirements on the paint job. Especially if it's cost you more than they quoted.

I'm not trying to drag you down, but it sounds like you should have some recourse here. As they say, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" so I think it's time to start making some noise.

If the other owner doesn't have insurance, all too common in SoCal, you're insurance should have a Non-insured motorist collision coverage. I believe all policies in Cali are required by law to have it.

Don't worry, it's just time to step up and take action as a consumer. It might take a few weeks, even a month or two but we'll get it taken care of. One way or another.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks senna,

you're right. at this point i didn't realize how poorly i handled the situation. state farm gave me their estimate and did pay for the costs, but not all of it (sorry i should have mentioned this). this was not a state farm approved body shop.

i should have stood up, and i should have said they did a poor job. a breach of contract occurred. at this point in time, since the job was done over a month ago, i lose some leverage and ground having to recontact him for reparations.

i don't trust the shop owners to have any work redone so bringing it back is out of the question, especially after a dispute. i just had to vent and any advice such as yours is more than helpful.

·
Registered
860 Posts
To begin with, it doesn't matter if it is a state farm approved shop or not. You as the car owner, have the legal right, to have your car repaired at whatever shop you want. State farm is not allowed to force you to use"their shop". It is against the law.
Secondly, state farm issued you a check for repairs. Once you cash that check, you have agreed to the estimate and, claim over on their part.
And, once you drove the car off the body shop lot, you have agreed that the repairs were satisfactory.
Your only recourse, is hope that the repairs fail within a year. Mosts shops carry a one year warranty.
Check to make sure the shop has the proper license and permits. Use that as leverage. And make a lot of noise.
Please, don't get me wrong, I am on your side.

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
Not all states have the prefered shop laws. I know Ohio and Virginia do, i am not sure about Cali. Some states allow Insurance Companies to lock you into their shops.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Cali law states that you have the right to take your car to any shop you want.

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
thanks for filling us in on that. :)

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Is California a "no fault" state?

If thats the case then your insurance company goes after his and the claim basically gets settled..

I think you better step it up another knotch and get things re-evaluated...

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks everyone, especially for the legality, Zanny. i've gone ahead and called the shop. they were unaware that my lights were not put together and offered to put it back (i've already done it myself). he said he'd have to go through the records about the payment and call me back tomorrow, but i'd be lucky if i got a call like he said he would.

i'm going to see how this turns out tomorrow, if not, i'm going to move forward to try to get reimbursed.

·
Registered
139 Posts
is this the shop on east 13th street? unless the previous owner sold his shop, they did good work and was pretty cool. i had my del sol painted there a couple of years ago but maybe he sold the business.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
alfredthegreat said:
thanks everyone, especially for the legality, Zanny. i've gone ahead and called the shop. they were unaware that my lights were not put together and offered to put it back (i've already done it myself). he said he'd have to go through the records about the payment and call me back tomorrow, but i'd be lucky if i got a call like he said he would.

i'm going to see how this turns out tomorrow, if not, i'm going to move forward to try to get reimbursed.
You might be very surprised. The owner may not have been aware of the condition of the car when it left his/her premises. Often times all it takes is making them aware of the poor workmanship before it's corrected. When he/she calls back lay on some positive remarks about his business. Let him know about the referrals. Let him know how your car doesn't stand up to the quality of their work on other cars you've seen. Let him know that you brought your car to him because of the perceived higher standard of work that they had over other shops. Then let him know how disappointed you are. If he/she then doesn't make things right, then certainly it's time to start putting some alternate forms of pressure on them. Don't forget there are consumer laws to help in situations such as this. Everyone screams about how bad Cali laws are until something bad happens and you need protection.

Just start off with the subtle approach. As has been said "It's easier to catch flies with honey than vinegar."

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
blu2 said:
is this the shop on east 13th street? unless the previous owner sold his shop, they did good work and was pretty cool. i had my del sol painted there a couple of years ago but maybe he sold the business.
yes that's the shop. i've heard good stuff from their paint work; and i've seen cars come in and out of their painted nicely. what i don't get is that the paint work wasn't the best (or the worst).

part of my fuming comes from the lack of my knowledge when it comes to paint work; but for that amount of price, i've seen a helluva lot better of a paint job on other parts of my car.

i've been thinking, and i believe an "estimate is an estimate" as one board member put it, and it's not a binding contract, so he has that much going for him in terms of the cost of service being more. however, i wish he gave me a call prior to trying to overcharge me.

thanks senna, that's a great approach. wish me luck in getting this matter solved smoothly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts