MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So heres my situation. 93 mr2 on Cusco coilovers.

I have a set of wheels 17x8 et38 and 17x8.5 et 27. put a 5mm spacer on front to ensure clearing the caliper (might not need?) but don't know until I get tires.

My question pertains to me wanting to put 18s in the rear. I found a set of 18x10 et 20. What would it take to run them in the rears?
if I got the 18x10s for the rear I may want to run the 17x8.5 et 27 for the fronts that would require me to roll fenders or run more camber but no spacer?

I can also get 17x9 et 35 for the rears and I know that won't be a problem but can only find the rears in 18x10 currently to double stagger

Also I don't plan on trying to run any stretched tires more meat mo' betta

Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Your first choice of 17x8" +32 and 17x9" +35 is the easiest to mount w/ coils.

These days you can make anything fit given some effort. An 8.5" in front w/ coils is definitely a project though, I'd stick to maximum 8" wheel width w/ low +30s offset. I remember mounting an 8" up front w/ coils and I wasn't comfortable until it was +30.

As for rears, higher offsets allow fatter rubber. You'd be more than an inch past the fender with the 10" +20 rear (flush is around +47 for 10" if I recall). So you're in for some moderate to high negative camber plus fender rolls (more likely fender pulls).

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your first choice of 17x8" +32 and 17x9" +35 is the easiest to mount w/ coils.

These days you can make anything fit given some effort. An 8.5" in front w/ coils is definitely a project though, I'd stick to maximum 8" wheel width w/ low +30s offset. I remember mounting an 8" up front w/ coils and I wasn't comfortable until it was +30.

As for rears, higher offsets allow fatter rubber. You'd be more than an inch past the fender with the 10" +20 rear (flush is around +47 for 10" if I recall). So you're in for some moderate to high negative camber plus fender rolls (more likely fender pulls).
thanks for the response RePete!

Yeah I was just thinking I could run the 8.5" in the fronts so I don't have to run spacers since my 8" are at +38. to get the back spacing but I did see when I put my 8.5 in the front to look it was poking out a lot.

I've also been thinking with getting some stock struts and lowering springs to see if I can fit any of the wheels specs without a lot of camber or mods. I'm not opposed to changing the suspension.

The 18x10 is extreme more than I actually want. but I may have a lead on a 18x9 with a 45 offset would that rub the coils?

Ive always assumed perfect flush MR2 setups is 8in front 35 offset and rears 9in with 35 offset.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
8/9" +35 is the accepted norm for a 'flush' fender to outer lip comparison on stock suspension (8" +35 won't work w/ front coils). Front coils are the real problem because they rob you of 10mm lateral spacing vs stock suspension in an already tight front wheel well.

18x9 +45 will not be a problem for the rear coils, and with that offset you can mount some fat rubber (255 - 275).

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Ya the 8/9” +35 set up is the flush “standard” but fronts can still be an issue.. depends mostly on tires.. some are more square and blocky and that’s were crash bolts and camber plates help... the rears will need rolled fenders with 245 and up... also depends on spring/shock travel or bounce... I hate stiff suspension on these cars.. it’s skips around to much when it’s stiff and the chassis ends up being the suspension.. I run +35 17 x 8’s w/215-40’s up front... rears +30 18 x 9’s w/245-35’s... works well

1 - 5 of 5 Posts