MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so... i sea foamed my car ( man it workd freeking good ) so any ways mabe after like 15 min it was running NICE i mean waay better then before then so after a while i start to feel my car start to shake and and sound like some hella mean gas skooter so any ways i pull over and am like WTF Is that so i turn it off check all the spark plugs 1 ( lil bit of dirt ) 2 ( fine ) 3 ( hella oilly water ) 4 ( green slim looking dots and flooded in water ) u think that is a blown head gasket wouldent they all fill with water and green slime and even when i bought it it had a slow acceleration time could be i was only running on 3 cylnders? or head gasket was shot?

·
Registered
672 Posts
a blown headgasket does not effect all cylinders, all the time. a blown head gasket can ,IN FACT, affect only one cylinder.

but, a blown head gasket is a blown headgasket and ya need to get that fixed.
dont drive it at all, not even a minute. right now youre looking at possible light head work.........plane the surface.......the cost of a gasket, and tear down/rebuild time. either you or a shop. but if you drive, you are on the road to a new motor. not trying to scare you, this is just a possibility

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i parkd it but the one with the green crap was #4 so i think thats the one that was effected :( how much u think it will be to replace

·
Registered
672 Posts
depending where you go, a couple hundred. i want to say around 300-500 bucks, depending on just about anything. worse case...500 bucks. i cant really see it being more than that.
head work at a shop where you know someone, or, some one you know, knows the shop, could be around 50-100 bucks. labor on the other hand is different. if you know someone who could work on your car, or has done so, it only gets cheaper.
i live in arizona and i know that i would spend about $100 tops to have the head surfaced. but i also work for an automotive repair shop.
like i said previous, it depends on parts, labor, and where its done

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
It's a head gasket. Nows your chance to swap in a good MLS head gasket. I recommend an HKS (deep pockets) or a cometic MLS for the replacement. The Cometic is more that half the HKS and is practically just as good. The head might need resurfacing, but that should be no more than $80.00 MAX! You can reuse the OEM head bolts or replace them with ARP head studs (deep pockets). Do a timing belt change while the heads off. Also, now is you chance to look at your cylinder walls and check out the wear. This will let you know a little about the expected engine life.

ALSO!!! I have seen on super rare occasions that enough coolant got into the cylinder to do bottom end damage due to hydro-lock! Put the pistons at the top of the bores and see if they are all the same distance from the deck. Just saying, you might as well while your in there.

Brian

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do u think i should just do a motor swap ? i mean ive been qutoed like freeking 1000 bucks so why dont i just get a gen 3 swap do u think its ideal?

·
Registered
672 Posts
that is entirely up to you. if youre getting a gen3 motor and ASSUMING you dont already, and your quote is 1k, then maybe a swap is in order ONLY for the fact that the assumption you are getting a better motor, is being made.

you never gave info on your car, but by your words, ill assume you do not have a gen3 motor. if you are hoping to upgrade, then maybe you should consider the swap. if your only looking to fix what is wrong, bite the bullet and be without your car while repairs are made. it is afterall, your money. do what pleases you. im sure people on the board are more than eager to tell you to do a swap, but i am telling you to do, what ever goal you have in mind.

but a gen3 is by far, more than a headgasket job. if you have the money for a gen3 plus time, then id say go for it. :thumbup

but to fix your problem, do the headgasket job and save for a gen3 plus some minor upgrades.

think before you act. sorry i cannot give you a deffintive answer, BUT, it is your car, your money, your time.

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
silent765 said:
and sound like some hella mean gas skooter so any ways i pull over
Man I would've kept on browsing but that line was too funny....

First off calm down. It is not 100% a blown HG. You need to do #1 a compression test or a leakdown test. Compression test is easy gauge costs $29 at auto zone. Go invest in one. I've used mine 100x.

Second off if it IS a HG, the numbers being thrown around in here are rediculous IMO.

* How would seafoam blow a HG? If anything you injested too much and hydrolocked yoru motor. But it was running. I doublt this is a HG. But assuming it is, a HG with parts and labor is going to run you about ~$800.

**A blown HG does not mean you have to do headwork. You can simply clean both surfaces (WELL) and reassemble. Furthermore, No shop will resurface a head including dis and reassembly for $100. If this guy compares his car to a gas skooter I would NOT let him near the top half of his motor to do the disassembly work :p

***A genIII swap for a grand? You gotta be kidding me LOL. Most places are charging $2500 delivered for a GenII clip and $3000+ for a GenIII clip. For a grand you MAY be able to get a JDM long block and swap your dressing over to it. And then you will have to spend $500 + on pumps and gaskets. None of those numbers include labor.

Good luck and I hope its nothing drastic!!!

·
Registered
672 Posts
a blown headgasket does mean head work. there is nooooooooo way id blow a headgasket, teardown, rebuild, WITHOUT making sure the surfaces are flat.
that would be like knowing the girl next door is a hooker, and you get offered sex for free, not use protection, catch something, and say "if someone had only told me!!!"

take the head and have it surfaced.

·
Registered
672 Posts
oh, in arizona,.........a long block is around $2,500-3.5..........depending on sources.

and justin...something tells me, he is not doing the work.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no thats what some ppl on this fourm are quoting me and no i was saying like invest that 1000 into a motor swap yea but the quote was involving head work too and yes ima look at it more tomarro

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I take it you have a gen 2 3sgte. I recommend you do the MLS head gasket and resurface the head. As long as everything checks out, than you are set for the makings of a reliable 350rwhp engine. A stock longblock with a metal HG will easily support 350rwhp. Even with stock cams. Of course this is with all the correct modifications. Just my :2cents:

Brian

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
ok basicly my ____ spark plugs went out because of the sea foam so i put new ones in and it works wonders ( sorry i was so tired last night )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts