MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I dunno if you guys are familiar with the insides of an electric motor... I used to play with electric RC's though, and I'd say my fan/blower motor is toast. I was hoping I'd be able to repair it, then I cracked it open. Here's what I found..

Notice the chunk of the brush in the second picture.. This motor really went out hard, it looks like ;p
I wonder if that black gunk is dirt or metal shavings... The motor does have its own cold air intake for cooling (gray rubber hose in the first pic), which is kinda neat =p

Anyway, I'm seeing ~$100 for a new motor. That sounds insanely expensive to me, though. I would like a new one, if possible, but I might just have to go junkyard hunting. Any suggestions on where to find another? Anyone have a spare? =p

Getting to the motor is incredibly easy, but if anyone thinks a writeup would be useful, I'll go ahead and do one, since I already have pics of the process.

·
20v Super Two
5,026 Posts
I have 2 spare, but I need one of them because the inside of my daily drivers blower motor looks like yours :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
anyone know of any cross reference's to other models / makes ? Must be a manufacturer's part number on it somewhere ?

·
3,519 Posts
I had mine go out in my 85 about a year ago but it was due to the brushes being worn. I just bought some gm alternator brushes (cannot remember which ones) ground them down a hair and replaced them in the motor. Was incredibly easy. But then the motor locked up on me back right after NA2005. I pulled one out of my 87 parts car and now I have blowing air again. I also have a good one in my 86 parts car if anyone needs it.

As for other cars that it could come out of... I have no idea. Maybe something like the ae92 corolla or similar.

wait... I have the EPC here in front of me... let me look it up and see what it crosses to......

Nope... the toyota EPC only crosses it to the AW11 as one that will fit as a direct drop in.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My endbell reads:
ND 162500-3361
12V 10E Japan 18

There may have been more stamped onto the black plate, but I reinstalled it in my car because air was all rushing into the passenger footwell with it off =p

If one of you guys wants to sell me one, I'm interested.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
.. ive got one. you can have it for free. get in contact with me soon though, if not its going to the dump (its a good working motor btw).

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
tiller said:
Autozone sells blower motors for $32.00. I have had one in my car for 3 years now with no problems.
Another vote for Autozone. The one I got has worked great for 6 months now (comes with lifetime warranty) and has been from one temp extreme to the other ie, 10 F - 100 F.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts