MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BHP GAINS!

How do,
All you experienced mr2 owners may be able to giv me some good decent advice.Like every one i want more bhp, i hav a 3s-gte 3rd gen standard engine wit a hks exhaust, dump valve and induction kit. I presume my car is running at bout 250bhp, but wud appreciate any advice on adding 50bhp or so without breaking the bank!

Cheers
look forward to ur replies :thumbup

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks, plenty of interesting reading there. sounds like dat guy knows wot hes on about, let the mods begin! I already hav a boost gauge,hks exhaust and induction kit, so i guess a boost controller is next on the menu. As you guys hav more experience wit tuning than i do id appreciate any ideas on good products n prices, especially now on boost controller, and fuel thingy, and inter cooler!
Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
870 Posts
Rossmr2 said:
Thanks, plenty of interesting reading there. sounds like dat guy knows wot hes on about, let the mods begin! I already hav a boost gauge,hks exhaust and induction kit, so i guess a boost controller is next on the menu. As you guys hav more experience wit tuning than i do id appreciate any ideas on good products n prices, especially now on boost controller, and fuel thingy, and inter cooler!
Thanks again. :)
I would do a Two's R us boost controller. The best bang for the buck! $50

The fuel thingy is just to keep from hitting fuel cut. search for the Billwot FCD.

For an intercooler, I think you would be best off with the Berk Technology intercooler. Comparable to the Greddy, but substantially cheaper.

Hope that helps
T.J.

·
Registered
904 Posts
guys he is gen III he wont hit boost cut till ~18 psi so there is no reason for him to do the fcd for now.....

so ross i would recomend the mbc, and and upgraded intercoller, and a downpipe if you are not worried about emissions. then crank it to 17psi and call it a day that should be good for a low 13 if you are a good driver. you will be sitting between 240-270 depending on a few things.... also if you can find one i recomend finding one of the rom tuned ecu's for a gen III i.e. blitz/sard/mines that is supposed to be good for 20 whp and really clean up your a/f's since the stocker is always sooooo rich. plus a higher rev limit and remove speed cut. also ups the boost cut.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the info guys. Reckon il go for 1 of those boost controllers alrite cudnt go wrong for 50bucks, i presume they are a reliable link to purchase off?. You said also clean out me a/f's wot r these?? also i have seen aftermarket intercoolers but there doesnt seem to be anywhere for the intercooler fan to go so wot happens there? thanks alot :thumbup

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
If your running stock boost, you aren't making much more, if any, over stock HP.

A boost controller will add ~ 10 REAL hp for each extra pound of boost.

bill!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
FIRST thing I did is I installed a GOOD IC, I went spearco with coated pipes and the mega suck in small children and animals through the side vent fan...
I wanted to ensure reliable and cool intake air to prevent detonation before I even bought my MBC.
Also by simply installing the IC the increased flow/reduced pressure drop I went from 9 PSI boost to 10 PSI just by bolting in the new IC.
That's my advice.
Also making your own FCD is very easy, just follow billwots plans under the DIY links. $8 to make your own or $80 to buy one...hmmmm.
Just follow the calibration by voltage instructions carefully (its easy).

·
MK. II RACING
4,335 Posts
RedTuna gave you a good link for the MBC. A/F's = Air Fuel ratios. The 3sgte tend to run real rich to keep everything "safe" from detonation. By slightly leaning out the Air/Fuel ratio you can gain some real good HP and still keep the engine safe. This is why they said to find an upgraded ECU. Sounds like you are NOT in the USA RossMR2. Check out the "International" section of this board. I'm sure you can find someone in your part of the world that can help you find parts and upgrade your MR2 (if in the USA the check out the "regional" section for same).

As for the IC fan. Most aftermarket kits can retain the stock fan, some can not. MOST people just do away with the stock fan and go with something better. Like the Berk kit ( thread link http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=152921&highlight=berk ) or the Spearco kit from www.turbohoses.com ( direct link for IC kit http://www.turbohoses.com/mr2_turbo.htm ).
Hope this helped.

Daniel :thumbup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts