MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 86 SC (transplanted) that the owner says is running but has a blown head gasket. Car has been sitting for a while. What should I do to try to make sure I am not buying a terminal headache? Assuming we mill the head true and do the repair correctly, what are the odds of getting a good engine out of this?

Thanks,

Don

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
check for oil in the coolant, and see if he can start the motor to see if it smokes. i bought mine, and it was smoking. i put a new HG on it, and it stopped smoking. course, it didnt have any oil pressure and i blew the motor 50 miles down the road...:(

·
Registered
173 Posts
i once bought an 91 rx7 real cheap trusting the seller that it just needed a new radiator, only to find out after replacing the radiator that the water seals for the engine were shot, which means the entire engine is no good, so becareful man! just a though, bring your toolkit with you and just verfiy it with your own eyes, i doubt he will mind because if the headgasket if bologny then its gonna have to come off sooner or later

·
Registered
976 Posts
whats the asking price? if its low enough just scoop it and start tearing into it.. worse case, you can do a little rebuild or get a new (used) shortblock. sc's are fun and worth fixing!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts