MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to put a new timing belt on my 88 n/a. It was off when i bought the car, and i am trying to figure out the best way to install it without removing the engine. the car is in a parking lot so I will be using jacks and such to install it. I have the haynes manual but that is it. any help is appreciated.

matt

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
just follow what the haynes recommends, that's what I used, I just replaced my T belt yesterday but it was a lot easier cuz my motor is not in my car yet.....Just to let you know it seems more intimidating then it actually is

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
The hardest part is the lack of room to work, otherwise it is very straight forward.

·
Shadetree mechanic
2,499 Posts
Patience is important the first time you change the timing belt. There have been several threads recently regarding removal of the crankshaft bolt, setting the engine to top dead center and timing marks that might be useful.

You may want to replace the timing belt tensioner with the timing belt:
http://www.pbase.com/aw11mr2/image/38983192

Many people recommend that you replace the waterpump if there is a lot of mileage on the car.

·
3,519 Posts
Basically you can leave the motor in but you will need to support the motor with wood blocks under the oilpan and a jack under that as you will need to drop the pass side engine mount. Hit me up on IM again and I can go into detail.

·
Registered
13,231 Posts
replacing the timing belt tensioner? does it really matter?

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
rino said:
replacing the timing belt tensioner? does it really matter?
Kind'a like replacing the throwout bearing when you do a clutch. Necessary?? Probably not - at least right now; but it saves several hours' labor from not having to do it when it fails.

Do you replace just one spark plug - and that only when it starts missing? I didn't think so. ;)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
To give you an idea of what you're up against, here's the link to my waterpump writeup. Removing the t-belt just requires removing the crank pulley and the passenger side engine mount. You don't have to remove the water pump unless you want to replace it for PM.

http://www.padandwheels.com/mr2/waterpump/waterpump.html

·
Registered
13,231 Posts
ITA-MR2 said:
Kind'a like replacing the throwout bearing when you do a clutch. Necessary?? Probably not - at least right now; but it saves several hours' labor from not having to do it when it fails.

Do you replace just one spark plug - and that only when it starts missing? I didn't think so. ;)
Well I know it's good to change the tensioner if it's hydraulic but I never really heard of anyone changing one that's spring loaded. The reason i'm asking is because my new 4agze has skipped a tooth on the timing belt once while driving on the freeway. A similar situation happened again this past weekend where I lost all power on the freeway hoping it's just the timing belt again. This time around if I find that's it's the belt i'm changing out the tensioner too. (sorry for the hijack)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Funny, it looks just like a Honda tensioner, if it matches up, it would sure be alot cheaper. I'd try 93 del sol d16z6

1 - 12 of 12 Posts