MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Build Quality: I'm a certified welder so I know the difference between a poor weld and a good one, and this exhaust is 100% machine welded. It is perfect. The pipes fit exactly dead center in the flanges, and every weld is a work of art. I wish I had two of them; one to hang on my wall and oogle at, and one on my MR2. I took a magnet to the entire exhaust and the only parts of it that are non-magnetic (i.e. other material than stainless steel) are the flanges and some structure inside the muffler canister. All the rest is pure 100% stainless steel. The muffler shell itself is stainless. The overall look is "enhanced stock" and it looks fantastic. Nothing ricey about it.

Sound: The biggest draw of any exhaust is the sound. Some would argue performance, but in that case, I say just get straight pipes. In my opinion, this exhaust is one of the best sounding turbo exhaust I've heard on a 4 cylinder turbo motor. The only other contender would be certain Subaru exhausts, and that has to do with the fact that the Boxer engine naturally puts out a different exhaust tone. I'm currently running a 2.5" downpipe into the 3" Fujitsubo exhaust, with no CATs in the system. I was worried that not having a primary cat would make the exhaust too loud, but again, it sounds exactly like stock but deeper and more full. I guess the difference would be akin to a 22 khz mono MP3 recording of your exhaust tone, and then hearing the 44.1 hkz stereo MP3 version with the sound clicked up a few notches. The only two exhausts I've lived with on my car are the stock muffler and a TKO 7" muffler, and this exhaust is much better. The TKO was too loud for my tastes with a downpipe, especially when you first start the car up in the morning, and the exhaust tone didn't increase in a linear fashion. The Fujitsubo screams like an NA, with the exhaust note simply getting gradually louder and faster as you increase RPMs.

Performance: My car runs stock boost aside from the increase you gain from having a free flowing exhaust. My boost gauge is digial and reads in hkpa. With the TKO muffler, on a hard pull, I'd see about .80 hkpa which is 11.75 psi. If I kept on the throttle, I'd creep up to fuel cut at around .88 hkpa or ~12.9 psi. After swapping on the Fujitsubo, I now see .75 hkpa or 11.025 psi on a hard pull, and it takes a little longer to creep up to fuel cut. So essentially, by swapping on the Fujitsubo, I lost less than 1 psi (7/10ths to be exact). In my view, this is an incredibly free-flowing muffler for not being a straight-through design like the TKO. It actually *feels* like a faster car because it's not as loud, giving the impression that the motor isn't working as hard to make the same power. If you've ever been in a Vtech enabled Honda with a loud, ricey muffler, you know what it's like to have the car suddenly start howling and screaming at you're not really going any faster. With the Fujitsubo, you've got that sinking-back-in-my-seat feeling and you look down at the tach and say to yourself "woah, I'm already at 6000rpm?".

I'd easily give this muffler a 10/10. I'm so impressed with it, I think every car manufacturer should offer a Fujitsubo exhaust as a performance upgrade. That way you'd get maximized performance, sound, and longevity due to the stainless steel construction.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Emartoo said:
Performance: My car runs stock boost aside from the increase you gain from having a free flowing exhaust. My boost gauge is digial and reads in hkpa. With the TKO muffler, on a hard pull, I'd see about .80 hkpa which is 11.75 psi. If I kept on the throttle, I'd creep up to fuel cut at around .88 hkpa or ~12.9 psi. After swapping on the Fujitsubo, I now see .75 hkpa or 11.025 psi on a hard pull, and it takes a little longer to creep up to fuel cut. So essentially, by swapping on the Fujitsubo, I lost less than 1 psi (7/10ths to be exact).
I'm confused.

At first you say:

"My car runs stock boost aside from the increase you gain from having a free flowing exhaust."

But then you proceed to say that you LOSE boost switching from the TKO to the Fujitsubo. Is this to say that the Fujitsubo is LESS of a free flowing exhaust than the TKO?

Basically you think the Fujitsubo is a better exhaust because of the Fujitsubo is quieter, and "feels" faster because it isn't as loud making it seem like you are at a RPM you aren't? I'd think a louder exhaust would make me feel like I'm going faster.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Ive had this exhaust on my car for a couple years now...love it...especially living in So Cal...having a quiet exhaust keeps cops away :D

·
Registered
740 Posts
thanks for the detailed write up. It is too bad that the muffler has some non-stainless inside of it. Having the muffler rust out on the inside would suck.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its not the best unless youve tried every single exhaust system ever made for the MR2
I'm sure you tell your wife/girlfriend she's the best, and you haven't tried every one of those out there :kiss2:

Just by looking at some of the exhausts, I disqualify them for being ugly, non-stainless, etc. I think the nearest contender might be a Butterfly 304, but even so, it still uses the same mufflers as a TKO so it really couldn't sound that different.

I'm confused... But then you proceed to say that you LOSE boost switching from the TKO to the Fujitsubo. Is this to say that the Fujitsubo is LESS of a free flowing exhaust than the TKO?

No, you're not confused, you've got it spot-on. My car uses the stock wastegate to control boost with nothing in-line to alter the boost pressure. With that setup, I lost less than 1 psi by switching from the TKO to the Fujitsubo. I don't even expect to see that on a dyno run.

Basically you think the Fujitsubo is a better exhaust because of the Fujitsubo is quieter, and "feels" faster because it isn't as loud making it seem like you are at a RPM you aren't? I'd think a louder exhaust would make me feel like I'm going faster.
Hop in a luxury car with a big V8 so that it's quiet and tame. The feeling of torque is more isolated because it's not simultaneously associated with the loud whine of unmuffled exhaust. Or drive a 350Z and feel the NA torque surge forward as you barely hear it through the factory muffler. Now hop into a B16 powered VTEC Civic with ricer muffler and romp on it. You're making deafening amounts of noise, but not going any faster. That's what I'm talking about. It is all very subjective, though. A skateboard can feel fast going 15 mph because of the vibration and how close to the pavement you are. You get my point without me having to write a book about it, yeah?

thanks for the detailed write up. It is too bad that the muffler has some non-stainless inside of it. Having the muffler rust out on the inside would suck.
Something inside the muffler canister is non-magnetic, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's corrosive. It could be galvanized, or simply a magnetic non-corrosive metal. Look at it this way; every other muffler you buy will rot away given enough time. Even a cermachrome coated muffler will have metal internally that rots. I expect the Fujitsubo to outlast the chassis and the motor. I don't know why the flanges were magnetic, but they were certainly welded to stainless steel pipes. Even if they rusted, they're easy enough to replace.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got it through a Group Buy. There were 10 of us, so we got it for $550 shipped, normally $575. We went through Gruppe-S, but they say they're not going to host another one on this exhaust and I don't blame them; their supply royally screwed up and most of us ordered this exhaust back in Sept/Oct. of last year with a claimed delivery time of 6 weeks, and we're just now getting them in February. I can't say it's Gruppe-S's fault because they were very helpful on the phone and the Group Buy host held our money and didn't pay them until two months after the initial payments. Then the Japanese supplier screwed up and split the delivery on different cargo ships. Basically, it was a hellish nightmare to get this exhaust and I'm glad it's as good as it is and it cost less than a TKO (the current value exhaust). I wish you the best of luck in getting yours. I'd go with a local importer if possible, so you can maintain communication with them, or see if Gruppe-S can order them individually.

If you can't get your hands on a genuine Fujitsubo, then I'd suggest getting the same style of muffler and using a decatted b-pipe for similar sound/performance. My friend has a KO Downpipe + Tanabe B-pipe + Greddy SP and his exhaust sounds pretty close to mine, just a little "dirtier" probably because of all the varying pipe lengths, but it's not a huge deal. I've read that the TRD muffler and the HKS dual-outlet muffler are similar as well.

I'd break MR2 mufflers into two camps; the kind that use a similar muffler to the stock muffler like the Fujitusbo, HKS, TRD, Greddy SP, etc. and then the "straight through" pipes that use a Magnaflow, Glasspack, rock wool, etc. style noise muffler. The latter offers the best performance but I've never been happy with the way they sound. I've heard them on other cars that had lengthy piping with a resonator incorporated, and that fixed the deficiency in sound quality. But, you'll never have that on an MR2. So if you want good sound, you've got to go with the stock "truck muffler" style muffler. I plan on shooting for 275 whp with a CT27 and this Fujitusbo exhaust. This exhaust WON'T be the bottleneck for my power goals.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, Greddy is secondary cat-back and Fujitsubo is primary cat back. You can get a Tanabe b-pipe and then it'll be very close to Fujitsubo. I've heard this setup before and it is close to my Fujitsubo, but the sound doesn't resonate as perfectly. It sounds a little "dirtier" like a muffled recording. Still, I'd say it's 90% of the Fujitsubo sound. I can't attest to the performance, but seeing how they're roughly the same size and same style of muffler, they've ought to be close.

If you're interested in the Tanabe-B pipe + Greddy SP combo, my friend has that setup for sale. I *think* he's asking $400 pre-shipped, but I'll have to double check. He wants a Greddy PEX, which is like the Greddy version of the TKO. His car isn't his daily, so he isn't as hardcore about needing it to sound perfect like I am. Oh, and he's mormon so he's just weird all around.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I put together the first group buy for the fujitsubo a long time ago...also through gruppe-s...great deal, but waited 3 months to ship. Its worth the wait if you have the time.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
i just got a used one off a jdm clip recently, and i love this exhaust. it's a little louder than stock and the tips are beautiful.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.