MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. This site and you people are amazing. The amount of good info is overwhelming and I thank you all for it. Now that thats outta the way.

I just got a 91 NA. Needs some interior work but the engine runs well and man is it Fun to drive. I would however like to add a little more power without breaking the bank. Does anyone know of a SAFE supercharger for the 5SFE . I did a search and saw the Rippmod SDS. But thats like $2,800.00 I also saw a few on ebay but they dont reveal who makes them. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
rippmods seems to be the only maker of a sc for the 5sfe. probably better to build yourself a turbo kit for under 800 bucks and will get the same amount of power if not more.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
do a search for RIPP mod supercharger or supercharging the 5s. there was a post about it awhile ago. it explains that RIPPmods doesn't include everything that you need for the 5s to run/tune properly. i think the the overall cost for the supercharger is actually more than just turboing your 5s, or getting a swap. hope this helps

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK. You mention that ad from ebay sarcastically but has anyone actually had experience with it? Can someone first hand Say its a waste, its not safe or you'll notice 20-40 Hp gain
?

Oh and thanx for all the advice thus far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's a giant ripoff and a huge joke among enthusiasts. It's little more than a restriction in your intake, and will provide about as much horsepower as a tornado fuel saver.

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
its a piece, my friend put one on his crx and it slowed it down :lol:

·
Registered
467 Posts
Your hp with superchargers is limited, go turbo and your hp can be unlimited.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Ah geez, why'd you have to bring the leaf blower back? Do a forum search, rhudeboye. And hey, welcome aboard.

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
TomsMR2 said:
rippmods is a rippoff..
Don't let Crawling Eye read this he'll flip. I think he is an associate of Rippmods or something because he got pissed when I said from reading the facts that they sucked.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
texasmr2 said:
Your hp with superchargers is limited, go turbo and your hp can be unlimited.
i can find you a supercharger that will output in excess of 2000hp.. its just as limited as turbos are.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If I were you...

I would just tune suspension and brakes while I saved for a v6 swap. Then you will be ready to put a nice bunch of reliable, instantly accessible power to the ground.

Unless you prefer getting a lot more technically involved with your engine to keep the turbo setup healthy. (I admire the big turbo guys who can keep track of it all the time, that level of hands on is not what I'm personally looking for with my 2)

:2cents:

·
Registered
207 Posts
tred said:
its a piece, my friend put one on his crx and it slowed it down :lol:
Yes, I'd imagine it's right on par with that "INSTANT:mj:20HP!!!!" chip...

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Crismas-

A V6 Swap sounds both expensive and impractical. That?s a limited amount of space in the 2. Also you gotta figure in the upgrades in other parts that aren't made for that kinda torque. I think I'll take your advise with the suspension as well as upgrade my clutch, flywheel and exhaust.

Man these MR2?s look nice. I?ll post my pics soon.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
i think that a v6 swap isn't as impractical as you would think. the cost is relatively about the same for a 2nd gen half cut, plus the instant torque would make it worth while. actually alot of people have done this or are attempting to do this. the car's chassis handles this swap rather well. do a search for v6 swap. you'll be suprised. if you want to mod your 5s, alot of n/a owners will tell you cams is the way to go. its like a night and day difference, added along w/ other supporting mods. good luck w/ your project.

·
Registered
178 Posts
crismasbonus said:
If I were you...

I would just tune suspension and brakes while I saved for a v6 swap. Then you will be ready to put a nice bunch of reliable, instantly accessible power to the ground.

Unless you prefer getting a lot more technically involved with your engine to keep the turbo setup healthy. (I admire the big turbo guys who can keep track of it all the time, that level of hands on is not what I'm personally looking for with my 2)

:2cents:
Amen to that.

My 5s is perfectly fine...

The turbo sys. on the other hand, well, I'll put it to ouy this way...
...My latest problem is the fact that the pipe that holds the HKS wastegate
on, well, it broke, off, completely, leaving a 40mm hole between the turbo and the exh. manifold (I am using a Trueleo adaptor and it has broken twice in 1,600 miles)

...I kid you not, I drove home to find the wastegate sitting on my AC compressor!

Before that, I had a coolant line cut a hole in itsself due to a small burr on the metal pipe.

Oh, my nice GT turbo leaks oil out of the turbine... That makes for some nice smoke...

...Can't forget the studs that hold the turbo on; they have stretched and require retorqing every 500 miles.

But the motor itsself is great and the car runs well when the turbo is actually connected to the exhaust...

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Man, sorry to hear the bad newz antiRice. I didn't think that I would feel so good about owning an NA. I'll start my search for the V6 discussions now and calculate the cost. Thanxs guys.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts