MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey people,

I'm new here and have a question about the 4agze and Cali smog/emissions. I'm interested in getting an MKI and would love an SC. What would be my best bet for having it legal and fun in Cali? I have been reading about the different types of 4agze's and would be interested in swapping in one of the aeXX models. I know that none of the AW11's came with this specific engine, but would it be possible to hook up emissions equipment to one of them?

Basically, it comes to this. Should I:

1. Get a jdm AE92/AE101 4agze and swap it into an AW11
1a. Would I need the emissions equip off a usdm 4agze or usdm 4age?

2. Get a NA AW11 (appropriate year) and swap a usdm 4agze

3. Get a AW11 with a usdm 4agze

4. Go crying home to mommy cause I live in Cali

Any suggestions Cali smog/emissions/legal wise would be appreciated.

PS Don't know if this needs to be in the Emissions section, cause it is a mix of questions.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
i vote for 4 ;)

are you good at mechanical work and dont mind a little parts hunting? you can save alot and have a much lower milage, higher powered 4agze mr2 by swapping in a japanese motor into an na chassis.. if you use the AFM based model with a distributer, you should be able to convert all your smog equipment over.. reblmr2 used the smallport 4agze and i believe he managed to adapt smog stuff on.

also is this going to be your primary car? if so you might want to concider just buying a supercharged mr2 out right and saving the hassle.. imo, the hassle is half the fun, but other people might think otherwise :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, this would probably start out as a project car and end up my DD. Right now I've got an MKIII Supra. It's fun, but it doesn't corner like I want a car to. I've been doing research and a usdm AW11 w/ SC is comparable power for the weight (which is 1000lbs of difference or more). Right now I'm just trying to decide what road to go down.

I like my current ride, and if tuning the suspension improves handling I may stay with it. I also know that I'm more comfortable with a lighter car like the MR2. So, just trying to figure out what to do. Probably just try to find a Cali legal SC. Unless NA->usdm SC is something people would recommend.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
if you go with a JDM late model GZE you'll have to fabricate all the emissions crap, thats something I would definatly not want to do. If you really want a GZE from a AEXX(X) then I would buy the bottom end seperatly and try to source a USDM small port head

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mister2sc88 said:
If you really want a GZE from a AEXX(X) then I would buy the bottom end seperatly and try to source a USDM small port head
It that the 165hp 4agze or the 145hp AE92/MKI 4agze? And by source do you mean fabricate or just pruchase?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts