MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the stock seems to be the best, but my frined is looking to get a BOV come hell or high water in his 94 turbo. I hear the HKS sequential BOV is teh b3stst, but Im no where near the expert when it comes to MR2's OR turbos. He currently has a Turbo XS BOV and said he HATES it. Made his car run like crap, but refuses to put the stock piece back on. Any help here?

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
his car will run like crap no matter what bov he puts in there without it recirculated.

HKS ssqv is the best aftermarket bov, but again, his car will still run like crap, just a different sound. AND the only reason the ssqv is the best aftermarket one is because it's based on the same design as the oem (2 chamber and pressure loaded)...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
you're still losing air to the atmosphere that the computer thinks is in the engine, when you don't recirculate the air form the BOV, it creates a rich condition whenever the BOV is letting air out. The only way I'm aware that you can get rid of it with using the stock computer is to get a VPC (get rid of the AFM) ...or go standalone

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
vpc=vein prssure sensor from hks, has since been discontinued. used goes for about 500+ then a gcc or safc combo to tune it with, looking at at least 140-150...so you're looking at over 600 just for parts, then install, then tune just to get the infamous sound.

time for someone (you or your friend) to start searching this board as well as reading the stickies at the top of the forums (if you had, you'd know why vented BOV's will run like crap).

just for times sake though, it's like this:

intake->afm->turbo->hotpipe->bov

from that, you should realize that the afm measure air intake befor ethe turbo and bov. so if you vent the bov, you are releasing the metered air that passed through the afm already. ecu doesn't know that so it doens't compensate for the less air.

·
Registered
154 Posts
i think these people should jus buy msd ignition with the fake blow off sound from a speaker..... better for their car, and they can customize the sound.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Hellz yeah. They have those speakers all over ebay. I almost got one but I bought two JDM carbon fyber wings instead, one for the front, one for the back.

If he doesnt really care about performance, tell him to just get the BOV that sounds the best to him. And again, no matter what BOV he gets, the car wont run right unless he recirculates the vented air back into the system, which would get rid of the cool sound, and now he's at square -1 (no sound, and minus a couple hundred bucks).

And to reiterate:
1: The AFM measures the amount of air going into the engine.
2: The ECU says, through a speaker into the AFM's microphone, "Oh, hey! Thats alot of air! I''ll put in a bunch of fuel to go with it! Thanks for that info!"
3: The afm replies, "Yup! I'll keep measuring air, and you keep adding the fuel, and we'll be a great team!
4: The ECU replies back, "I love you, man. You're my best friend ever. Always so true to me."
5: You, the driver lets off the gas a little bit.
6: The BOV cover's the AFM's speaker with his hand and yells to the audience with a loud hiss, "HAHAHA! I have secretly let out a bunch of the air that the AFM told the ECU was coming, but the ECU doesn't know it yet!
7: The ECU looks up, after dumping all that fuel that the AFM told him he would need, and says "Hey, AFM, you lied to me! Why did you tell me all that air was comnig when it wasnt?"
8: The AFM says, "It was that new guy, the BOV, he sabotaged us!"
9: The ECU replies, "Well hold on! All that extra fuel wil cause the engine to almost die, and make the car buck really bad!"
10: The car bucks, and the engine almost dies and you, the driver, get confused and mad.
11: The ECU and AFM hear your shouts and then cry together, while the BOV waits silently, to pounce once more on the perfect system that one was the AFM, stock BPV, and stock ECU.

The end.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Good story. :smile:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Boz said:
HKS ssqv is the best aftermarket bov, but again, his car will still run like crap, just a different sound. AND the only reason the ssqv is the best aftermarket one is because it's based on the same design as the oem (2 chamber and pressure loaded)...:rolleyes:
Yea, and this also helps: (If you want a SSQ, and want to recirc.)

:smile:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
1) alll u girlies crying that your car will run like crap are wrong...i run the hks ssq vented to the atm and have never had ANY problems

2) if you buy the hks ssq and recirculated, ur an idiot...it wont make the pshhhhh sound so you just wasted your money b/c it will only sound like the stocker

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
shavedturbo said:
1) alll u girlies crying that your car will run like crap are wrong...i run the hks ssq vented to the atm and have never had ANY problems
so you're saying nearly everyone on this board is wrong...? :dontknow:
there are a few peopel here claiming they have no adverse effects, but the number of people that DO have erratic idle, super rich condition, and slower shift response. including myself when i vented my oem bpv to atm greatly out number those like you...

shavedturbo said:
2) if you buy the hks ssq and recirculated, ur an idiot...it wont make the pshhhhh sound so you just wasted your money b/c it will only sound like the stocker
werd :thumbup

·
Registered
146 Posts
shavedturbo said:
Since you seem to know something that nobody else does, how exactly does that work then? You seem to be the only one that it works right for venting to the Atm.

·
Registered
588 Posts
you can turn your psi down to like 6psi and you wont have noticable problems with any bov, dunno if ud like that tho but if its for the sound, i know a few people that have the hks bov and have no problems

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
Po' Kid said:
Hellz yeah. They have those speakers all over ebay. I almost got one but I bought two JDM carbon fyber wings instead, one for the front, one for the back.
you poke fun, but those gay ricer fake bov's on ebay are actually higher performing parts than real bov's :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
I know the stock seems to be the best, but my frined is looking to get a BOV come hell or high water in his 94 turbo. I hear the HKS sequential BOV is teh b3stst, but Im no where near the expert when it comes to MR2's OR turbos. He currently has a Turbo XS BOV and said he HATES it. Made his car run like crap, but refuses to put the stock piece back on. Any help here?
Seriously, it sounds like you need to smack some sense into your friend, as he seems to be a complete newbie when it comes to turbo cars. He complains about a TXS valve making his car run bad, yet it seems that his best interest is in the "m4d tyt3" sound as he refuses to put the stocker back on. Even if he did buy another BOV, not only would it be a complete waste of money (especially if he gets a recirc kit), but there is also no guarantee that the car will run any better.

When I bought my 91 Turbo a year ago or so, it came with a Greddy Type-S vented to the atmosphere. It actually ran flawlessly, and it didn't ever stumble or stall, although I knew in my head that it was still running rich between shifts. However, I quickly got tired of the surging and the annoying noise the Greddy made and, after researching the stock BPV, I decided it would be best to swap them. That was probably the best $50 I spent on my car, as the car drove infinitely better and smoother.

In my personal opinion, he should return the stock BPV to its rightful place and never, ever touch the car again until he starts reading this board. If for some reason he can't live with a "stock" part on his car, especially one that would do nothing but make a silly noise if he replaced it, I would advise that he sell the car ASAP and buy a Honda or something. :p

·
Registered
274 Posts
idk i went to the bear mountain meet last fall and there were a bunch of guys running open blow offs with out any reported problems and when i asked on guy he told me some cars 2's have problems with it and some don't .... i think his car was in to the 3oohp range using a t3/t4 so maybe that had something to do with it but since that day ive heard alot about it only working on some and causing problems on others

1 - 20 of 27 Posts