MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did quite a few searches but I can't seem to find any info on this aspect of the battery relocation mod. I am going to use 0/1 gauge, a Oddysey 680XX with its special hold down. What is the concensus on the amperage of the fuse? I am thinking 120 should do the trick. And do I need a distribution block or not? Can I just extend the positive lead from the engine bay to the frunk? Or is it better to get a dist. block? If so any reccomendations I can't seem to find many that are 0/1 in and X# out. What gauges do the outs have to be and how many? Sorry for the questions if these have been answered before but I can't find them anywhere using search. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Kiel
89 SC

·
I hurt myself daily
3,371 Posts
ditribution block

I got mine from www.crutchfield.com . You can probably find cheaper. these guys have good customer service, but you will pay a premium for it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
While there are many different opinions, the concensus seems to be the following:

Wire: The OEM wires going from the battery to the starter and from the battery to the alternator are both 8 gauge wires, so 2 or 4 gauge should be plenty. I just did my battery relocation and used high quality 4 gauge wire. You can use 0/1 but you will have a harder time wiring that size of cable.

Fuse: Absolute must! Use no less that 100A or no more than 150A ANL fuse located within 18 inches of the battery. Some other folks have posted that the starter uses about 80A. I used a 150A ANL fuse.

Distribution Block: You can simply connect the positive lead from the engine bay if you wish, but using a distribution block allows for more flexibility of wiring. It also looks better, IMHO. I used a non-fused two 4ga input, four 8ga output Distribution Block.

For some extra info, see these links:
http://home.comcast.net/~apeppler/Mods/0212BatteryReclocation1.htm
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2553&highlight=battery relocation

For sources of wiring, distribution blocks, and fuses, look here:
http://www.cardomain.com/shop/amp_install

You can also check ebay, I got a full 4 ga Lightning Amp wiring kit that goes for $100 for only $12.50. I was very patient, and very lucky.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exactly what I was looking for thanks a bunch I really apprecirate it. Now just have to order this stuff up.
Kiel

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
i don't have problems with 80A fuses...... only time i do is when the car isn't wanting to start and i keep cranking the starter over.... (ie, more than 10 seconds of holding the starter over..... which i wouldn't advise as it is)

however, if you have an 80A up front, then use an 80A for the starter.... i learned quickly that the smaller fuse you have for the starter you need to have matched up front..... otherwise the starter fuses just blow.... kinda strange, i know...

i used a distribution block for a stereo setup.... haven't had any problems... used the stock wiring for the alternator and body harness, and ran new wiring to the MS/EDIS stuff and to the starter....

that all being said, make sure you ground the engine/tranny out in more than one place.... when i originally did the relocate i wasn't getting sufficient grounds to the engine.... so i ran a couple (one from under the trunk, other from under passenger cab... both at motormounts) to the motor and the problem went away

1 - 5 of 5 Posts