MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, well, if you've been following my string of problems you'd know that I had an alternator belt issue. That seems to be worked out at this point. The belt I have on now is tight, not making any noise, not slipping, and in good shape.

However, on my way up from Seattle tonight the battery light would occasionaly blink on and then go off, staying on no longer than 2 seconds at its longest point. The car was warm, we had been driving on the highway for about 30 minutes before the symptoms appeared, and about 30 minutes after they started they stopped all together.

I thought the belt might be slipping, but there was no belt slipping noise, and when I pulled over to check the belt it was tight. Not to mention that the voltage gauge never dropped to the point that it went to when one of my belts snapped while driving. So voltage was normal.

I think the alternator is working fine, but I think that maybe my battery is going bad? I boiled it over once when re-charging it but it hasn't given me any problems since then, however, I have no idea how batteries fail or what not.

For the time being (I'm at home in La Conner) I'm going to swap my dad's Accord's battery into my deuce and leave him a note about it for when he gets home. Just to be on the safe side.

Any ideas on what it could be?

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm going to be leaving my house in La Conner any minute now, so if someone has some insight I'd love to hear it before I leave.

·
Registered
409 Posts
all i know is mine did that when the alternator was bad, but that doesn't seem to be your issue from the sounds of it. By the way - i'm on alternator belt 5 now 0.o

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
I would bet the terminal on the alternator is loose. When you tighten it make sure hte negative battery terminal is off. Or else when you hit the fram with your rachet spark will FLY!

Anyways, I had that prolem after I replaced my alternator. And it was just loose.

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I'll check that tomorrow.

I got back fine, the light flickered a little on the way up, but the car ran fine. I bet it's just a loose terminal on the alt.

·
Registered
79 Posts
loose Alt. terminal...and/or may need terminals sanded and cleaned for best response. I'll be doing that now that my alternator's out. Glad you got home safe. :)

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anything else it could be? I really don't think it's my alternator because the voltage gauge (which I know to be working) never faultered.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
You may be putting out the right voltage but maybe not the right amps. Mine was doing that for a little while and I ran my battery down since it wasn't being recharged.

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I've driven over 200 miles now while it's been doing it, so I guess I'll find out if my alt is bad or not if my battery dies!

I don't have a jack or jackstands at college, and I don't trust the stock Toyota jack with my life, so I haven't checked the alternator connections yet.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
You can check the connection from teh top. Just reach down towards teh trunk side and feel if it's loose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts