MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having this problem for a while now and since i do not have enough money to fix the problem of the battery drain, i disconnect the negative wire from the battery every time im done driving the car and that usually at night when i get home. Now, my main concern is that since i disconnect my battery every time im done driving it and that about 5 to 6 times a week, will that cause any damage to my car or the computer system?

·
Registered
320 Posts
how did you realize its a battery drain? I might have the same problem. just over a month ago it happened, charged the battery overnight, started up real nice. now, (car hasnt been started in 2 weeks) i cant even get the lights on. battery is 1 year 3 months old.
sorry dont mean to bring my own problem into your thread but any help is appreciated

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i realize it when i had to change the battery every 6 months. So disconnecting the battery often does not have any kind of damage to the car?

·
Registered
408 Posts
i never had any problem with disconnecting the battery every night. but now my battery is dead anyway, but i think it was probably just old two years atleast.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
your battery is not charging all the way when you are driving. I would replace the battery, really it's not too expensive at a wal-mart or sears if you need to go ghetto. It will eventually die alltogether and leave you stuck. May want to try charing it off a battery charger all the way up.

do your lights get brighter when you get on the gas pedal at night?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Before you spend any money, check the parasitic current in your system - this is the amount of current being drawn with the car completely turned off. It shouldn't be above 100 mA. If it is, it means you have systems that are drawing excessive power that they shouldn't be when the car is turned off. Begin pulling fuses until you pull the fuse that reduces the current drain - this is the circuit that is draining your battery.

On my car, I had this problem and I was pulling a 4 Amp parasitic current due to a bad alternator.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Im posting because I have a similar problem.

I am currently drawing 6.1 Amps, which drains the battery overnight. Pulling the 15A dome fuse brings this draw to 5.2 amps. 0.9A from the dome light is alot, so Im sure thats fried. I've pulled all but three fuses in the car. The ones left are the big ones in the front compartment. They are 80A, 120A Alt, 40A. So one of these three circuits is drawing 5.2 Amps.

Those fuses are stuck, so Im gonna get a fuse puller tomorrow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts