MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are now 2 cars the MR2 can be based on: the FRS (doubtful) and the just revealed Furia Concept. The Furia fits the bill: Corolla (think low price parts bin), probably hybrid technology with a small lightweight powertrain, and
timing...the Furia is a 2014 model. The price point for the new MR2 is $20k.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
omarAW11 said:
Correction: I hope it gets its own engine and transmission.
Doubtful. Way too expensive developing an engine for just a few cars. I think Bill said something about Toyota never developing any more straight ICE every again. CAFE numbers are going through the roof in the next few years. That means gonna have to be a hybrid explosion by 2016 to even think about making the mandate numbers. The CAFE numbers increase exponentially every year after 2016.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Terrari said:
it would have to have its own chassis due to engine placement
Without a doubt. It's the single biggest reason they aren't doing it, and it's also the biggest reason the MKI and MKIII had underpowered engines and they focused on driving dynamics over style. There's a reason the MKI never came with the 3SGTE, and a reason the MKIII never came with the 2ZZ. Pricing.

omarAW11 said:
Correction: I hope it gets its own engine and transmission.
Not gonna happen (IMO). The only reason the MKII got the powerful 3SGTE engine was because of parts sharing. The only reason the 3SGTE existed was because of WRC homoligations for the GT-four starting in 1986 or so. Had they not needed the turbocharged power for rally racing we probably would have never seen the 3SGTE and it would still be the 3SGE. Maybe even a 1.3 or 1.5L with performance oriented hybrid?

Sadly, we may never actually see a true successor to the MKII, or even MKI for that matter. The only options that I see are a 4UGSE, and possibly something with smaller displacement. T-tops, not going to happen. Sunroof, maybe. Convertible, most likely to fit a wider demographic.

-Josh

·
Round n round we go
3,030 Posts
Toyota engine plans are changing. They are downsizing engines and adding turbochargers. Think direct injection turbo 4-cylinder Camrys instead of the v6. This will make it easier to put a small turbo engine is a possible next MR2.

Key elements of Toyota's plan:

-- A 2.5-liter direct-injection, Atkinson cycle engine, to be deployed first in hybrids in 2013.

-- A 2.0-liter downsized turbo-charged engine in 2014.

-- A shift to CVTs in small- to mid-sized vehicles.

-- More six- and eight-speed automatic transmissions for larger cars.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121001/carnews/121009997#ixzz2K92w5oj1

1 - 11 of 11 Posts