MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
bang-bang/anti lag system/exaust recirculation system

anyone had any experiance with anti lag systems? seems like it would be a nice addition to a built 3sgte... also what about exaust recirculation systems? ive read that they are replacing ALS in rally cars due to much much much less wear on the engine/mounts/exaust/everything, i dont actually know much about getting lots of performance fron an ERS and would be glad to get some info...

buy ya, either one on a 3sgte seems like it would be good times

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
AFAIK its probably the hardest thing there is on a turbo (lots of heat and the bang bangs dont help) other than of course way overspinning it.

Whats exhaust recirculation system?

·
Registered
6,248 Posts
whoa thats look so cool i wouldnt mind trying it out a couple times hehe

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Po' Kid said:
AFAIK its probably the hardest thing there is on a turbo (lots of heat and the bang bangs dont help) other than of course way overspinning it.

Whats exhaust recirculation system?
it recirculates exaust into the intake... origionaly they did it cos it would let gasses pass through the cat twice i think? its cleaner... much unlike ALS ;) the performance effect is that things burn cooler as exause doesnt ignite... so the chambers run cooler so you can run the engine with more agresive settings and stuff... thats all i know tho ^^ im sure someone else knows something

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
justkitteh said:
it recirculates exaust into the intake... origionaly they did it cos it would let gasses pass through the cat twice i think? its cleaner... much unlike ALS ;) the performance effect is that things burn cooler as exause doesnt ignite... so the chambers run cooler so you can run the engine with more agresive settings and stuff... thats all i know tho ^^ im sure someone else knows something
It would seem just as easy to make power by just running slightly 'softer' tune in the first place rather than to dilute the mixture just to run 'harder' settings? Also, surely less complicated to leave it the way it is?

Antilag is much cooler anyways :evillaugh .

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Po' Kid said:
It would seem just as easy to make power by just running slightly 'softer' tune in the first place rather than to dilute the mixture just to run 'harder' settings? Also, surely less complicated to leave it the way it is?

Antilag is much cooler anyways :evillaugh .
it doesnt dilute it... :| it causes a cooler burn... cooler burn means you can run harder settings without the wear and tear...

also, ALS is awsome, but i dont feel like repolacing mounts and turbos every 700-1000 miles yo

and two step vs ALs... ill start :p please corect me and add what you want...
When the driver lifts his foot from the gas pedal the ignition timing is altered with sometimes 40? or more of delay (retard) and the intake air and fuel supply mixture is made richer. The inlet butterfly is kept slightly open or an air injector is used to maintain air supply to the engine. This results in air/fuel mixture that keeps getting in the combustion chambers when the driver no longer accelerates. The ignition being delayed, the air/fuel mixture reaches the exhaust tubes mostly unburned. When the spark plug fires, the exhaust valve is starting to open due to the ignition delay mentioned above. Additionally, the exhaust temperature being extremely high, the unburned fuel explodes at the contact of the exhaust tubes. Luckily the turbo sits right there and the explosion keeps it turning
im lazy and i would oonly end up saying the same thing :p

a two step system simply stops one cylender from firing, so when it should fire, it doesnt, and it just pushes the unburnt fuel/air into the exaust where it explodes...

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
justkitteh said:
it doesnt dilute it... :| it causes a cooler burn... cooler burn means you can run harder settings without the wear and tear...

also, ALS is awsome, but i dont feel like repolacing mounts and turbos every 700-1000 miles yo

and two step vs ALs... ill start :p please corect me and add what you want... im lazy and i would oonly end up saying the same thing :p

a two step system simply stops one cylender from firing, so when it should fire, it doesnt, and it just pushes the unburnt fuel/air into the exaust where it explodes...
Good explanation, although I dont know whether you were talking to me or just everyone (I knew the difference between the two).

And if you make the mixture say 10% exhaust gas (which would mean diluting the charge, no?), that would mean you'd have to run it at a 10% more aggressive setting to just get back to where you were, right? Or is it a case where a tiny amount of exhaust gas, while hurting performance is left the same, opens a door for much more aggressive tuning which can gain power?

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
2-step rev limiters and anti-lag are not the same thing.

2-steps pull timing and spark so you can build boost when you are about to launch.
When 2-stepping, Hyde build's 20-24 psi before the clutch is ever released (the 2 rev limiters are clutch-switch activated).

Anti-lag keeps boost up while shifting while racing.

Here's Hyde shooting flames while 2-stepping:
http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/images/hyde_2stepping.mpg

This video is a bit cooler :evillaugh
http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/images/hyde_1113_123_island_dragway.mpg

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hyde, something I've been curious about on these: is it activated off of the cruise control switch on the clutch pedal (top one), on the clutch start switch (bottom one)
thanks
Matt

·
Registered
620 Posts
mr2matt said:
Hyde, something I've been curious about on these: is it activated off of the cruise control switch on the clutch pedal (top one), on the clutch start switch (bottom one)
thanks
Matt
My two step is controlled from the AEM. You can set up what rpm and how much boost you build at the line before launching. I launch at 5500 and at about 20 psi of boost. John

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
John, I would think you would still need to be activated by a clutch switch somewhere.
My 2-step is part of the Nemesis and it still works off the clutch switch.

mr2matt, we used the cruise switch.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
JekylandHyde said:
John, I would think you would still need to be activated by a clutch switch somewhere.
Nope. The AEM has a speed input. You can have your two step only active when you are less than 5mph. My speed signal had noise in it so I couldn't get mine to work like that. While I was setting it up I, the engine was jumping around from 5000-8000rpm and that wasn't good.

I now have my AEM use the cruise control switch like yours.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts