MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would much appreciate input from board members on this Q: ;)

What could possibly cause the thurst bearing on a turbo to go bad, while the axis bearings are OK?

The symptoms are as follows:
> the turbo shaft does not have up-down/side-side movement (that is little to no movement orthogonal to the shaft axis)
> There is significant movement along the shaft axis, you can move the shaft in and out at least 1/8"

Further background:
my turbo started smoking about 6mo ago, I had it rebuilt, put 2k mi on it with ~10 autox, and now I'm seeing the 1/8" shaft play along the axis - I'm afraid this isn't a turbo problem, but something else on my car that may be causing the problem. Examples:
> oil starvation? but then why would the rotational bearings be OK
> too much back pressure? (I do have a high flow cat)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
for as fair as i know turbo go bad by oil starvation , backfires in the exhaust manifold ( anti lag idea ) , overboosting them. and things like that.

but keep in mind that MHI turbo's like the td06 always have way more clearance on the shafts than garrett turbo's & ihi turbos.

i owned a td06 and t67 , on both i could push the shaft about 1 a 2 mm forwards and backwards , and on the td06 i could even hit the casting. and those where brand new.

also , if you have a lot of play , you might like to retorque the V-band on the exhaust .. take it off , than put it on ... and torque it a bit , than take a very small plastic hammer , and give it some very minor hits on both the compressor and turbine .. you'll notice now the V-band be torques some more ... do this like 4 times ... and the shaft play will disapeare a bit. you can also hear some metal in the turbine rolling around when the v-band is not torqued well.

ps , be aware evrey time you torque the v-band , chech the wheels for rolling free , if you torque the v band to much you'll notice the trim is gonna be harder to turn. ... thats no good , it should roll easy'er evrey time you torque it

man my english sucks ... but i hope you understand what i mean :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts