MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went ot the toyota dealership and took a tech for a ride and then they put my car on a lift to try to find the problem. The right wheel shakes during acceleration and de-cceleration but theres no shaking when not in gear.

The tie rod for the right side has a loose bearing from what the 4 techs that looked at my car said. The wheel moves front to back slightly and you can actually see the bushing where the tie rod meets part of the wheels brackets.

What are the name of these bushings? Tie rod bushings? What else should I order when ordering replacements? Who sells these bushings for me to replace with ?

thanks for any help

·
Finally running!!
1,125 Posts
it's a tie rod bushing acting up? well I know from experience with a buddy's rx-7 his tire would move while the other would just stay straight due to an accident he had and the tierod was very loose compared to the one we bought from mazda. after we changed it out and got an alignment done his car drove straight took turns all that jazz ... well hope it all works out good luck

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does this kit include the outer tie rod bushing by chance? It includes alot of other replacement bushings for suspension parts I need to replace as well.

tie rod bushings

If that is not the set I need to buy then please direct me to the correct one. THanks for the responses so far

·
Registered
55 Posts
No, that kit does not have tie rod ends included. The tie rod ends have a built in bushing, and cost~$50 each at the dealer. You need one left and one right. Installation is fairly simple, if you have the right tools/jack/etc..

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what?! So are you saying I have to buy half of a whole tie rod? I cant just buy the bushing? If this involves taking the tie rod apart to connect a new section of tie rod then I will have to have an alignment done again right?

I just had the entire left inner and outer tie rod replaced last winter after I bent the old one. That was like 110$ for the entire piece not including install and alignment.

SO do I have to buy a half (outer) tie rod because I cant just replace the bushing? and this will require an alignment as well correct?

thanks again

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Anytime you replace suspension components like tie rod ends, you should get an alignment done.

-Nathan

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
First of all tie rods DO NOT HAVE BUSHINGS. A tie rod has a jointed end like a ball joint. The inner tie rod attaches to the steering rack, the outer tie rod end screws onto the inner tie rod, allowing the toe adjustment for the alignment. Anytime you change tie rods the toe angle has to be reset, meaning you need a front end alignment.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im talking about the rear. I dont know if I already stated this part, but its the right rear side. the outer side of the tie rod has a bad bushing.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Buy the TRD bushing kit for ~$300. It'll save you A LOT of money. Don't buy each bushing individually, you'll end up paying over $1500. I say this because you might as well replace ALL of your bushings now. TwosRus has a great urethane kit, but the TRD kit has everything, even new strut tops.

And just replace your front tie rod ends too. 15 years is a LONG time, and I'm pretty sure they're worn down. Do check your front and rear ball joints too. There should be NO play.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts