MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was troubleshooting the '95 MR2 we have had for sale. I was out playing one day and notice a little bit of smoke coming from the valve cover catch can. After running a compression test, I got these results:

I am pretty sure we've got a broken ring. I borescoped the cyl and could see no evidence of detonation and the plug was normal colored and even with the rest. The valves were all fine as well. That's the bad news.

The good news:
As many of you know, this was the car that was going to be the test bed for the 3SGZE project. This event has re-kindled that flame. In the next month, we should be in the fabrication phaze to install the guts of this. It will be nice to have the first 3SGZE on US soil. We have most of the parts to do it and now we just need to get the shortblock together and go to work. I'll keep everyone up to date as it happens.
Tyson

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Dersch said:
I guess Congradulations!! :)
^^ haha, I was going to say that too.
Medpilot, may I ask you a question? What 3SGZE engine is it?
Whichever it is, good luck man.

JDMR2TT

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JDMR2TT said:
^^ haha, I was going to say that too.
Medpilot, may I ask you a question? What 3SGZE engine is it?
Whichever it is, good luck man.

JDMR2TT
It's going to be a 3rd gen hybrid with turbo removed and twin screw SC running about 15-18 psi boost.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
g_man1968 said:
By the way, are you going to retain air conditioning?

Are you going to use a w/a intercooler?
Yes, we are retaining the A/C and haven't decided whether to run W2A or retain the Spearco A2A unit. That will probably come later on.
Tyson

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Im not too familiar with superchargers, but if you're not using a centrifigal (sp?) supercharger, how would a standard IC work? Ive seen those IC (aftercoolers?) mounted between the SC and the manifold on V8s. How will it work on an MR2? From my understanding a centrifigal one (sp?) can use an intercooler just like a turbo, right? Please explain!

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
I realize this is a moot point since the block is being trashed, but why were the other 3 cylinders so low? They should be up around 170+ even if one cylinder is bad, shouldn't they?

·
Premium Member
14,333 Posts
What's your SC oil cooling plan? A local guy had a twin screw project on his 4AGZE last Summer and ended up junking it after burning up a couple superchargers. Something about the way it was mounted ended up preventing the SC from getting proper lubrication.. I believe he had it mounted on its side in the stock SC location.

Damn did it move, though!

·
Registered
618 Posts
ummm, didnt a green te27 or te37 (older corrola) from Cali have a 3S that was supercharged.... it came out in Super Street like 1-2 years ago?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Justin311 said:
I realize this is a moot point since the block is being trashed, but why were the other 3 cylinders so low? They should be up around 170+ even if one cylinder is bad, shouldn't they?
i believe the standard for a 'decent' motor would be if all cylinders are within 20% compression to the others. maybe the insterment he used was slightly defective, so maybe they all came off a litttle bit low?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
quickblue2 said:
i believe the standard for a 'decent' motor would be if all cylinders are within 20% compression to the others. maybe the insterment he used was slightly defective, so maybe they all came off a litttle bit low?
No, Sorry, I just did a quicky test. The test wasn't a leak down and the engine was cold. They are pretty standard numbers for a cold engine.. It's not 100% accurate by any means, but it did tell me what I wanted to know.

What's your SC oil cooling plan? A local guy had a twin screw project on his 4AGZE last Summer and ended up junking it after burning up a couple superchargers. Something about the way it was mounted ended up preventing the SC from getting proper lubrication.. I believe he had it mounted on its side in the stock SC location.
The SC that I am using is internally sealf oiled. I spoke with Whipple extensivley on this point and I am only mounting it at a slight angle off level.

Im not too familiar with superchargers, but if you're not using a centrifigal (sp?) supercharger, how would a standard IC work? Ive seen those IC (aftercoolers?) mounted between the SC and the manifold on V8s. How will it work on an MR2? From my understanding a centrifigal one (sp?) can use an intercooler just like a turbo, right? Please explain!
an adapther flange is mated to the outlet that reduces it to a pipe coupling.

·
What Grind's My Gears!
1,181 Posts
HELLO
so that means i can twin charge my setup... what is the price range?? an eta?
thanx
henri

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Medpilot said:
No, Sorry, I just did a quicky test. The test wasn't a leak down and the engine was cold. They are pretty standard numbers for a cold engine.. It's not 100% accurate by any means, but it did tell me what I wanted to know.

You were performing a compression test. not a leak down test i understand that. You can perform Compression tests on a cold motor, even though they will not be 100% accurate, they will give you that rough estimate you were looking for. i would guess the numbers would all be a little bit low...maybe by 10psi. But it doesnt explain the red, red, YELLOW, red cylinder in there.

maybe im answering my original post, and beating a dead horse?!? ne way.... :p

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
quickblue2 said:
You were performing a compression test. not a leak down test i understand that. You can perform Compression tests on a cold motor, even though they will not be 100% accurate, they will give you that rough estimate you were looking for. i would guess the numbers would all be a little bit low...maybe by 10psi. But it doesnt explain the red, red, YELLOW, red cylinder in there.

maybe im answering my original post, and beating a dead horse?!? ne way.... :p

ummmm....Yeah... :flush :deadhorse j/k

1 - 20 of 32 Posts