MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the BGB, the Primary somethin-or-another is supposed to be between .4-.5 ohms. The Secondary somethin-or-another is supposed to be between 10-14 k ohms.

My primary read between .8-1.2
My secondary didn't even get a reading

Is my ignition coil bad or is my ohm meter bad? If it's the ignition coil then I think I found my spark problem :) Let me know please!

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Do you have a scale for reading up to 20K ohms? If so try reading something else that is approximately the same. Get a 15K resistor and measure it. That should tell you whether or not your meter is the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No its not running at all and I'm trying to figure out the problem.

I measured the distributor pickup coil and the reading on those came out ok so I think it is my ignition coil. Would you agree that it isn't my meter?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Short the 2 leads of the meter together and make sure you get 0 ohms. That's another way to rule it out. But it sure sounds like a bad coil to me.

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got a reading of .3ohms when I shorted them together. So would you say thats low enough to be an ignition coil problem?

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It didn't read the spark plug wires because the probe wasn't long enough to reach inside the boot.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
if its bad, ive got an ignitor coil if you need one.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
SwpdMR2 said:
The BGB didn't say to check the coil wire.
I am simply offering you a suggestion to try something else that may be in the neighborhood of resistance as the secondary of the coil. It is highly likely that your ohmmeter has a weak battery. The higher the resistance, the more likely the battery is to be the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hear ya, I thought the meter was bad too until I tested the pickup coil on the distributor and everything read fine there. I think I'm going to grab a new ignition coil. It's a rusty mess, maybe it being old has something to do with it.

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I replied...and I wanted to say thank you to byron and chris for your quick and responsive help, and thanks to you ddtprm for supplying me with a good one, hopefully this does the trick.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
SwpdMR2 said:
I replied...and I wanted to say thank you to byron and chris for your quick and responsive help, and thanks to you ddtprm for supplying me with a good one, hopefully this does the trick.
no prob man. glad i could help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts