MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been reading all these threads about each tire, and I just can't find a consensus on which tire is the best to get. Currently, I have 205/45/16 Yokohama AVS es100's on the front.
For the rear, Im lookin to get 225/45/16. For this I can get either the es100's or the Falken fk451's (I don't think the Azeni's come in that size). In this case, which would have better grip - the es100's or the fk451s? They have the same treadwear.
Now the Azeni's come in. They come in 215/45/16, for about the same price as the Yok's and fk451's. In this case, which would grip better, the grippier of the 225's, or the 215 Azenis?

SO basically, of the three, 225/45/16 es100s or fk451's, or 215/45/16 azenis, which would offer the best rear end grip?

Thanks,
Stan

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I have been buying ES100's for the last 2 years for my 91T and I love them and I will continue to buy them when new tires are needed again. I think they have awesome wet and dry grip. I have not had either of your other choices though, sorry. :)

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
the FK451s are superior the es100 in every category (wet, dry, treadlife) and cost the same... so there is NO reason to ever buy es100s... sloppy sidewalls, subpar traction, and ______ treadlife....

the azenis will provide the best DRY grip... but will wear MUCH faster and SUCK in the rain.

if you need a daily driver or ever see rain, get the fk451s.

---

and I've personally OWNED, USED and DRIVEN on all three of these tires (in various sizes)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
yeah, I dont trust azenis in the rain brand new. I hydroplaned and eventually caused me to spin out on the freeway with 75% tread life...azenis=scary ____ in the rain. From my experience with ES100s and Azenis, ES100s own all around but Azenis man handles anything Ive ridden on in the dry. Both had crappy tread life.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Since I've had my 93NA, I've had Falken GRB, Dunlop 8000, and Yoko ES100 on the rear. The Yokos stick better and lasted longer than the other two. I'm getting ready to order another set.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
You really liked the ES100's more than the 8000's? How abut for track day use?

Falken is coming out with an updated version of the Azenis. They will reportedly include the 225/50-15 size, and judging by the revised tread pattern, will be somewhat quieter.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
i really like the azenis. I would say they are the stickiest of the 3. If you are hydroplaning, then that just means you need to drive slower :D mr2 and rain dont mix anyway. Ive been using them for 3 years now for my mr2 and they are great autocross or drift tires(in rain) for my corolla- I dont drive my mr2 in the rain so i dont have to worry about that. also, i have the azenis in a 225/50/16 which isnt a huge jump from the 45 series.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
fk451s rule! good grip in rain or dry, i even drove through ice/snow with them on and they performed awesome.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vrooom Psshhh said:
i really like the azenis. I would say they are the stickiest of the 3. If you are hydroplaning, then that just means you need to drive slower :D mr2 and rain dont mix anyway. Ive been using them for 3 years now for my mr2 and they are great autocross or drift tires(in rain) for my corolla- I dont drive my mr2 in the rain so i dont have to worry about that. also, i have the azenis in a 225/50/16 which isnt a huge jump from the 45 series.
Do they come in 225/50/16? I saw on vulcantire.com that they only had 215/45/16.

It still seems like some people say the es100's have been grippier than the fk451s. Is it that subjective that some people claim to have felt better grip from one or the other?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I've seen like 1 in 10 people IF THAT compare the 2 HAVING USED BOTH and choose the es100 over the fk451...

remember there are a lot of factors that can influence how a tire performs (mismatched size to rim, not getting your car aligned, etc)

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
twoina2 said:
You really liked the ES100's more than the 8000's? How abut for track day use?

Falken is coming out with an updated version of the Azenis. They will reportedly include the 225/50-15 size, and judging by the revised tread pattern, will be somewhat quieter.
I've never come close to losing the back end of the car with the Yokos. I did a 180 on a dry road with the Dunlops and came close a few more times. I'm wanting to see how the car does with the Yokos on both ends. Right now the Kuhmos on the front can't keep up with the Yokos on the back. If the Azenis would come out in the factory size, I'd be interested.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GReddySetGO said:
I can't comment on other peoples reviews, but I have had both the ES100s and the FK451s, and I have to say I like the FK451s better in every aspect. Also, yes, they are availible in 225/50/16, you can see all availible sizes here:

http://www.falkentire.com/tires_451_sizes.htm
I was refering to the Azeni's. I know the fk451s come in 225/50/16 and 225/45/16 (which I need). But someone above said the Azeni's come in 225/50/16.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts