MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to find a driver's side NA axle for a while and have had no luck locating one. No one seems to have those anymore. Do you guys know if the ABS and Non-ABS axles are interchangeable? I found a few ABS ones but don't know for sure if I can use one or not. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I know of vendors that sell only ABS axles.. Reason is, it eliminates carrying both an ABS and non ABS axle in stock, thus keeping a larger inventory and keeping axles cheaper. Its the exact same axle minus the ABS ring. Axle spline is identical but the only problem you may run into is that the ring may not fit the knuckle. So solution is to take a punch/screwdriver and to tap or break the ring off. Hope this answers your question.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jackal thank you for that info. I'll keep it in mind in case I need another replacement in the future.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds good. Any chance you or someone you know in your area is driving to the VA beach meet next week?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I'm bumping this because I have the same problem. I need a driver side axle for my 91 N/A, and none of the parts places seem to have one. Can anyone confirm that the ABS axles can be used in place of the non-ABS ones?

·
Registered
239 Posts
RazorWind, did you ever get confirmation that the ABS axle works in the non-ABS car? I'm having no luck finding an axle. Also, did you wind up finding an axle and where?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I am joining this club.

I as well am in the market for both pass and driver side Axles for my 93 NA. Non-ABS

I got my hopes up ordering online from Napa for a reman'ed axle, only to receive an email 2 days later stating their apologies that the item is no longer available. lol.

·
Registered
239 Posts
NAPA could not get me a reman'ed non-ABS, so I ordered the ABS axle (part number 95-4144). I got it today, and compared the two. They are the same length, and roughly the same. I put the ABS one in my 1994 NA, and it seems to clear everything just fine. I have it mounted in the tranny and the wheel. It spins freely without removing the ABS ring.

I just have not put the caliper and stuff back on and tried it on the road yet. I'm super busy and probably won't try that for a few more days. But I'm guessing it will work just fine. I'll post here when I do.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
the axles are the same other than the ring. even if the ring doesnt clear you can just smack it off with a hammer. also 5 speed and automatic axles are the same as well. hope this helps. another fun fact is that celica stubs are the same as well so if you ever break a stub you can just pull one off a celica axle and push it onto the mr2 axle(i did this because i broke the retaining clip off mine)

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
Ive always been able to use ABS axles in a non-ABS car. It always clears.

Using non-ABS axles in an ABS car just makes your ABS not work.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just so if anyone is looking at this in the future, the ABS axle works fine for the LH side. No issues, drove the car all around and it works fine.

jackqdeezn said:
NAPA could not get me a reman'ed non-ABS, so I ordered the ABS axle (part number 95-4144). I got it today, and compared the two. They are the same length, and roughly the same. I put the ABS one in my 1994 NA, and it seems to clear everything just fine. I have it mounted in the tranny and the wheel. It spins freely without removing the ABS ring.

I just have not put the caliper and stuff back on and tried it on the road yet. I'm super busy and probably won't try that for a few more days. But I'm guessing it will work just fine. I'll post here when I do.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Regarding the NA axles:

There is no "carrier" bearing correct? We just need to ensure that that rubber piece is on the longer shaft? (Does it help balance the axle under rotation?)

Great info in here.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Yeah, I just encountered this issue as well. The ABS axles are fine with me because if I decide to put a 2GR in my car, at least I can get a speed reading via the ABS speed rotors on the axles. A lot of the newer CAN ECUs do that instead of having an actual driven speedo gear.

My cores are non-ABS, but I have a feeling they'll just press on an ABS rotor and resell them as ABS.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts