MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know nothing about axles so i'm frantically looking through the BGB at this very moment. I figured I'd put it up here to see if anyone's experienced this before.

It looks like the passenger side cv axle is coming out of the carrier. here is a pic of it:

and a pic of the healthy driver's side:

what do i need to do to get this back together properly? I noticed it when I found out my rotor was grinding against my caliper mounting bracket.

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
If you haven't loosened the axle nut, you may need to replace the bearing. The nut pulls the axle into the carrier, so you could first try to just tighten the nut more.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'll attempt to tighten it and report back, i might not have the right socket though, all of my tools were stolen over the break. I'm assuming it's a deep 17mm or something, i'll see what i've got.

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
17? Try 30. It's HUGE. I think the MKI uses a 30, I'm pretty sure the turbo uses a 32.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jeez i just looked at it, yeaaaa i'm not gonna have that one right now. it looks like the bolt that the nut is threading on to is about even length with the lug bolts, and the same distance out as on the other side... is this indicative of a shot bearing?

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
If that's the case I would go ahead and replace the bearing just for peace of mind, if it isn't completely bad now it will probably fail soon if it was shifting around like that.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea i figured that was gonna be the case. any good write ups on that? could i possibly steal the whole carrier from my 85 parts car to get it back on the road before monday, or do the differences between the NA and SC axles mean different carriers?

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
Hate to rain on your parade, but I don't think the carrier and hub from an '85 will work on an S/C.

The bearings have to be pressed out and in. So, if you don't have a press, I'd pull the carrier and take it to a shop where they can do it correctly.

Pull the cotter pin and cover off the nut. If it's even finger-tight, you have a bad bearing. If it's not you can get it off with a pair of Channel-locks and pull the carrier out. I'd still replace the bearing.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
trying to find a good price on these bearings... conicelli has them for 48.23 apiece, and the list says "BEARING,BCA,38,74,N"

now that bearing wouldn't be the same as the one on rockauto for 33.79 that says "BCA Part #514002" would it?

·
Registered
881 Posts
If you're going to pull your hub, it sounds like you need to, do your self a favor and scribe mark the hub to the strut bracket, to make sure that if something shifts .....you can come back to your original camber settings.
I'm sorry to hear about your tools. I just lost a chunk of my lifetime collection. It's hard to take in stride.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks, I'll definitely mark it before i pull it.

it's very hard to take in stride, especially with a $1500 deductible. the things i was most pissed about were the brand new mig welder and rolling tool chest. and my shop radio, I hate working with no music.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts