MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wassup Guys, i am new on this , i recently bought 1987 Mr2 mk1b , it ram good! But i was driving home and i had a major oil leak … rhe next day when i added some oil and turned on the car , it makes a thumping sound… can anyone give some advice??

·
Premium Member
12,399 Posts
More information is needed. Where did the oil leak from, and what did you do about it? How much oil did you lose? In other words, tell us what the dipstick showed before and after you refilled, and how much oil you put in. Did the oil pressure gauge drop at any time? How far did you drive after you lost oil?

If you actually ran the car with no oil, then you probably destroyed the bearings, and possibly the crank also. A full disassembly of the engine would be needed to do an assessment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More information is needed. Where did the oil leak from, and what did you do about it? How much oil did you lose? In other words, tell us what the dipstick showed before and after you refilled, and how much oil you put in. Did the oil pressure gauge drop at any time? How far did you drive after you lost oil?

If you actually ran the car with no oil, then you probably destroyed the bearings, and possibly the crank also. A full disassembly of the engine would be needed to do an assessment.
It leaked from valve cover gasket..
and i put 4 quarts i drove 70 miles to get home from work . 15 miles before i got home my oil level gauge read low.
now. This was 3 days ago
I continue to drive the car and it drives okay
It just now needs a push of gas to start and its rough idle and low acceleration for the first 3 k rpms

·
Registered
291 Posts
rmeller hit it right, need an engine. Try draining your oil, what's left anyway, and you'll find metal in it. That would be your bearings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the oil change done..
my oil wasnt as sparkly as I thought it would be

·
Registered
1987 AW11
122 Posts
Sounds like your engine needs some love and a tune up, or a rebuild. can you get a video of the thumping

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No there was previously because of the valve cover gasket but i cleaned it all up

·
Premium Member
12,399 Posts
It is worth it to us, because for us this is a spectator sport. Whether it is worth it to you is for you to decide. Keep in mind that there are considerable uncertainties that will not be resolved until you have the engine apart.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts