MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon Friends, I have an 87' AW11 MR2 that's having some charging issues. The car runs and drives fine and at idle it seems to be in the normal range. However Anytime I put my foot on the throttle the voltage goes up to about 15-18v and shakes (throttles between 15-18v) constantly. At times it will go insane and while driving the voltage will go everywhere from 8v-18v shaking extremely rapidly, I do not know what is causing this issue. Voltage is confirmed on the battery and it's not a dash issue. The alt was replaced about 2 different times for charging issues. This alternator has worked well for about a year and a half now. Any advice will help thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,821 Posts
Well, I'm here to tell you that this alternator has gone the way of the other two. Technically, it is the regulator, not the alternator, but the regulator is internal to the alternator, so it works out the same. This is a common experience with aftermarket alternators. Try to get OE if you can.

You should also inspect the wiring to the alternator. A bad connection could conceivably cause this sort of thing, and you might get lucky.

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,897 Posts
Yes, unfortunately aftermarket remanufactured alternators are infamous for only lasting a year or so. Even the ones with "lifetime" warranties. For such old cars, they just hope the car (or you!) die before the alternator goes again.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Swapping to a 3sfe Rav4 alternator gets you a new unit instead of a reman. You have to space the bottom lug back 1mm and get an adapter wiring harness to go from the older round plugs to the 90's oval plug. It also gets you a little boost on amp output.

Alternators will also die if you have a bad battery or bad wiring. Check all of your battery charging connections for corrosion and clean up your ground wires. It's a pretty good idea on these old cars to add a 4 gage or so grounding wire from the cylinder head to the battery and another from the cylinder head to the chassis.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts