MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately only 1 pic, hoping more people post up, but here's a pic from the ice racing event i went to.

Had tons of fun, and with this week's 16ish inches of snowfall I'm really enjoying my skidplate, lift, and big snow tires.

Don't think it's what most people do with their aw11s, but figured i could share.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
That is pretty awesome. I am not familiar with ice but I would imagine that properly setup it would well in a RWD class.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Properly setup* and driven, a mk1 will be as fast as anything 2WD on ice. I won open class races in mine for years, and back in the day, when I used to race with a club that gave rear-wheel a second wave start ( ie the front diggers got a 1/4 lap headstart ) I used to run them down. Every once in a while, I would beat all the AWD cars in a timed event. I would always beat at least half of them, but that's driver not car.

It'll be far more fun than stomp-and-steer, too.

* IMO, this includes some sort of limited-slip... but I'm doing okay in my open-diff Turbo which replaced my mk1, so my opinion is softening a bit.

·
Moroccan Gold Imports
1,619 Posts
Looks like fun! I used to ice race when I lived in VT, but I used my WRX at the time. I never even considered taking my mr2 out on the lake. I would have been lucky to get it out of my driveway without some dedicated snow tires. Are you running studded tires? The big ones dedicated for ice racing?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no studs, im just on regular snow tires.
it is a lot of fun, I just did a night event this weekend, having only headlights makes everything much more difficult.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts